novice inquiry; real number, jabber room

Readers,

I am starting to learn fortran, reading 'fortran 90/95 explained'.

I do not understand the difference between a number '3' and '3.', i.e.
the significance of the full stop character. Any advice please?

Also, I created a jabber room, 'fortran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. I was
hoping to be able to communicate in real time.

  • Re: help reading fortran generated binary data...
    ... I have a tcl program designed to read an old Fortran Unformatted Sequential file format earlier threads). ... I have some old FORTRAN code that is capable of reading the same file - which I have used as a guide when writing my tcl version. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • help reading fortran generated binary data...
    ... I have a tcl program designed to read an old Fortran Unformatted Sequential ... I have some old FORTRAN code that is capable of reading the same ... the following should return the proper data: ... binary scan $binaryData @$d1 theData ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Unformatted, big-endian files and fseek
    ... don't think it has F2003 support. ... F2003 I/O will improve the reading speed versus reading the whole ... The natural recommendation, from my biased viewpoint anyway, is Intel Visual Fortran, the successor to Compaq Visual Fortran. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: When will this ng come to accept that Fortran needs to go "back to the future" ?
    ... why I asked the counter-question about C. Personally, I would guess that reading the contents of a directory in C is more portable in Fortran only to the extent that there are fewer compiler-related issues in accessing system interfaces in C than Fortran. ... struct for directory entries. ... Since not all unix file systems allow direct reading of directories, ... The C struct used for directory entries may use features that F2003 ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • blank in assignment Fortran IV
    ... I am studying an ancient source written in Fortran IV (it is the ... Also I assume by reading the theoretical text, ... I always get for HX the value HINF and not what I ... someone please explain what the above assignment in Fortran IV means? ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)