Re: gfortran 2007 annual report

"baf" <baf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:sPZgj.3567$pA7.262@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ejkost@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Jan 6, 6:34 am, Toon Moene <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James Van Buskirk wrote:

On Windows, you probably mean. I use gfortran as a native 64 bit
compiler on GNU/Linux AMD64 now for about 2.5 years.
That makes it sound alluring and new, but not too new.

I'm reluctant to criticize a volunteer effort, but I've never,
ever had any luck with gfortran for anything other than the
simplest programs. I always encounter a show-stopping problem.
Case in point: I downloaded the latest (Dec. 27) Cygwin build
and tried to compile the Schwartztrauber FFT library
with gfortran -c. The compiler was still running after 4 hours
when I killed it.

--Eric

Very strange. I grabbed the fft source (rfft-1.2-ss-90.01.tgz) from
http://www.jjj.de/fft/fftpage.html, put all of the fortran source files in
a directory and typed

gfortran -c *.f

and got all of the source files compiled in a couple of seconds. There
were 4 warning messages about array ifac having out of bound subscript
references, but that is pretty common in old fortran source. For this
test I used 4.3.0 (20070824) i386-pc-mingw32

I would suggest you try the ming32 (native) version rather than the cygwin
version.
I suspect one of two culprits: cygwin or the cygwin-mindset of the windows
user. The former does have issues as one would only imagine. There's a
functioning german language n.g. out there for it.

I might be average in terms of how ham-handed Joe Windows-user feels trying
to get something to work on cygwin. I certainly put plenty of effort into
it, where others might have a background related to it. I don't even know
where the hole in my education is in this regard.
--

Reagan Revision

"We are being told that a competent, trustworthy president is someone
who brandishes his religion like a neon sign, loads a gun and goes out
hunting for beautiful winged creatures, and tries to imitate a past
president who, by the way, never shot a bird or felt the need to imitate
anybody."

~~ Patti Davis Is Not Flattered by GOP Candidates' Pale Imitations of
Her Father

  • Re: gfortran/ifort format issues in files
    ... while the gfortran version uses LF only. ... A source file is NEVER produced by a compiler like ifort or gfortran ... text format. ... The normal "end of line" of a text file on Windows is CR+LF. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: fortran 2003 compiler
    ... Fujitsu for Windows are in maintenance mode. ... I would bet against a Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 2003 compiler on any ... None of the gfortran developers are interested enough in Windows to ... I'd be willing to pitch in some money to pay a developer. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: fortran 2003 compiler
    ... Fujitsu for Windows are in maintenance mode. ... I would bet against a Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 2003 compiler on any ... None of the gfortran developers are interested enough in Windows to ... I'd be willing to pitch in some money to pay a developer. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Compile and link optimization using gfortran
    ... The compiler will also install the latest version of ... This version of gfortran compiled and ran properly on my Vistasystem, ... WinMain is the entry point for a Windows Application not ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: A few quick questions about gfortran under cygwin
    ... >> Downloaded the windows version and it actually works - sort of. ... >> Gfortran did compile about 6k lines of that I threw at it. ... "pretty much anything anyone tries to throw at the compiler". ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)