Re: Is it time to legitimise REAL*8 etc?

robin wrote:
Greg Lindahl wrote:

And this was a known flaw -- PL/1 suffered from it.

PL/I didn't not "suffer" from it.
PL/I provides a default precision (like REAL in Fortran)
with the use of the keyword FLOAT --
that gives what is generally known as single precision.

But that doesn't help for double precision. Also, FIXED
point would seem to have more problem with this. It is
find when you do know the needed precision, but namny times
you don't.

-- glen

When a declaration gives an actual precision, the hardware data type
actually used is one that exactly matches that precision, or (if there is
not one that exactly matches it) the minimum precision that exceeds that
precision is used, just as Fortran does.

In particular, if single-byte integers are requred, PL/I will give it.

If you want exactly 3-decimal digit computations, PL/I will give it.

In general, the precision can be given in terms of the number of
decimal digits desired for the calculation, e.g.,
declare x float decimal (10);
This has some convenient properties, in that when you print the
value of X using free-format, you get exactly 10 decimal digits printed.

.