Re: LAPACK95

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:59:17 -0700, Richard Maine posted:

Ron Ford <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:41:42 -0500, Steven G. Kargl posted:

Linux is not Unix.

I use linux and unix interchangeable as unWindows OS's. I realize this
lacks nuance,

Apparently "lacking nuance" means being just plain wrong. If you want to
use a general term for the category in question, "Unix" is at least a
reasonably accurate term, plus or minux some nuances. "Linux" is not;
that's just plain wrong.

My sysadmin buddy tells me that linux is one of the unices. To see him hop
around on my solaris and ubuntu partitions is to see a virtuoso.

I think what I see in both places is that everything is in a folder.
There's lapack/testing/eig on all these systems, after you "untar" them,
untarring being the kiss of death for a windows install.

I might add that neither of them is even close to being a correct
catagorization of the general class "unWIndows OS". There are unWIndows
OSes that have no simillarity to Unix.

.... besides being different than the world's most popular OS. Does fortran
offer insight on the varieties of OS's?
--
Wealth - any income that is at least one hundred dollars more a year than
the income of one's wife's sister's husband.

  • Re: LAPACK95
    ... I use linux and unix interchangeable as unWindows OS's. ... Apparently "lacking nuance" means being just plain wrong. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ UNIX COURSE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... and aix unix course free administration ... and programming plan unix shell course ... course linux unix online administration system ...
    (sci.bio.ecology)
  • Re: The Problems With Linux
    ... > Here are the problems with Linux: ... programmers of UNIX, Open Source software, and Shareware. ... programs only available from BSD. ... BSD code is used by Microsoft in it's Windows NT/9x/2K/XP code. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly
    ... I've used UNIX, ... I've used/use Linux, ... > inefficient operating system - if most other Windows ... This is why I don't run POS operating systems. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: hmm..
    ... I checked definitely do not have any UNIX history to them. ... (ie I think "real UNIX" has SIGBUS at 10, while Linux didn't originally ... the "ctype" name comes "character type", and the ... the "ctype" interfaces are defined by the C standard library. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)