Re: problem linking a program with GFortran

Hi Norm,

On Nov 14, 5:13 am, AbNorm <norm.op...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
/opt/gfortran/gcc-trunk/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/
4.4.0/../../../../lib64/libgcc_s.so: file not recognized: File format
not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I think you are using the binaries I have build. This is a problem,
which seems to pop up from time* but so far, we (or at least I) have
not understood what happens there
(* e.g. http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2007-04/msg00464.html).

It might be that the system where I build GCC/gfortran is too new to
run on old(er) systems, but nonetheless I don't understand the error
message. If someone has an idea ...

* * *

One solution is to build GCC yourself, see at the very bottom of
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries, another solution would be to
upgrade to a newer openSUSE. You could also try whether the builds at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rguenther/ work for
you, I think "SLE-10_SDK" might be similar enough to openSUSE 10.1 to
work.

Regarding updating to a newer Linux: It might be a good idea to update
in any case as there are no security updates available for 10.1 since
August, see:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2008-08/msg00004.html
Currently, openSUSE 11.0 is the newest version, but 11.1 is around the
corner (currently beta5, supposedly release-candidate 1 will come out
next week, the 11.1 release is planed for December).

Sorry that I cannot offer a real solution :-(

Tobias

  • Re: problem linking a program with GFortran
    ... I think you are using the binaries I have build. ... in any case as there are no security updates available for 10.1 since ... Currently, openSUSE 11.0 is the newest version, but 11.1 is around the ... I'll upgrade to 11.0 and try it. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Enterprise vs openSUSE
    ... openSUSE has a lifespan of 2 years. ... rebuild openSUSE within 2 years? ... Security updates for software can still be done, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: No more Pulse Audio for me for now
    ... My mantra anyway is if it ain't broke don't ... fix it. ... openSUSE does only security updates, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
    ... For instance Nero you have to buy, and then after installation go to Nero web site for updates. ... It is interesting that many people react on Linux like they do a favor to guy that is promoting Linux and wants to help them out. ... MS only provides security updates just as openSUSE only offers security updates, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Has anyone built php with ssl for Solaris 10?
    ... ld returned 1 exit status ... This happens with both openssl from sunfreeware and the one I compiled ... behind in the security updates and this exercise is really about ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)