Re: inputting the ephemerides

George wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 03:08:35 -0800 (PST), Terence wrote:

And this is what you are trying to do..

Yes it is. It might be a bit of overkill if this were a casual thing for
me that I would forget like a college girlfriend, but I might be more in
love with space than any woman.

Here's what I've got so far:

George, my "untested" routines are written in F77.
They are in fact very close copies of what I use in working software.

You are using F90 or higher.
First change the "C" in column 1 to "!" and compile again because the
comment in F90 and F95 is indicated by an excamation mark, (and can
a;lso be anywhere on the right of an assignment expression).

Anyway, a slightly better way (since my fisrt method assumes the
contents of the ascii line) is to use a call that gets whatever is the
ith term seperated by blanks , and the length of this term, (which may
end in a units symbol), and returns a code to identify the field as
numeric or character-commencing, then move it to a new blanked line at
position
(posn(i)+length-expected(i)

Here, posn(i) is a set of position integers and expected(i) is a set
of desired field positions in the new line, essetially formatting your
data how you wish..
This will also work for any order of sstring types.

Once the line is finished you just read the alligned new line with a
format statement to automatically pick out what you want. This method
moves the unit symbols into a neutral territory if they exist, wand
where they can fall into a units field and so ignored or bypassed by
the format statement..