Re: global data

IMLE Fortran implementations (usually?) require a common block to
exist if it is declared anywhere, even if not actually used.

Blank common must always exist, but named common is only valid when referenced in the call chain. I believe there have been Fortran compilers that actually implemented them that way, i.e., dynamically allocating a named common when first referenced in the call chain.

Jan

  • Re: Halt execution procedure
    ... a named COMMON is only defined when a program unit is active in the call chain that references it. ... The compiler is free to implement, say, reference counting on a named COMMON, to allocate it when it first comes into scope and to release its memory when the reference count goes to 0. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: global data
    ... I believe there have been Fortran compilers that actually implemented them that way, i.e., dynamically allocating a named common when first referenced in the call chain. ... disk at overlay time. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)