Re: STREAM I/O questions

Ron Shepard <ron-shepard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
< jfh wrote:

<> A problem with unit numbers that hit me 30 or so years ago was that a
<> certain commercial graphics package of Fortran subroutines used an
<> assortment of undocumented unit numbers for its own purposes,
(snip)

< I think a lot of software did this 30 years ago back before
< open/close/inquire statements were available using preconnected
< units and/or some kind of JCL incantation.

The DEC compilers would create a file named after the unit,
like FOR001.DAT

For IBM, you needed a JCL DD statement for each unit.
If closed source software used a unit, it would have to
be documented such that the appropriate DD statement would
be supplied. The system cataloged procedures normally
supplied DD statements for 5, (SYSIN), 6 (SYSOUT=A, line printer),
and 7 (SYSOUT=B, card punch). The number of available units
is a sysgen option, likely more on larger machines.

< Open statements were
< available on, for example, some of the DEC compilers and operating
< systems before f77, but not on very many machines made by many other
< vendors. F77 fixed this, of course, but that would not really be
< popular until the mid 80's, and even then often along with the older
< version of the compiler that supported only the preconnected units.

(snip)

-- glen

  • Re: how to declare doubles in f95
    ... that's not what I was referring to. ... you seem to be referring to machines instead of compilers. ... find that they have 64-bit default reals, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: How to check whether malloc has allocated memory properly in case if malloc(0) can return valid
    ... I forget exactly which compilers I used on CDC machines, but I remember some kind of compiler option or something that mapped these declarations to the 60-bit floating point type, which is what I wanted on that hardware. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Using Integers and Bit Manipulation
    ... consider that it is even remotely likely in today's compilers. ... that would mean only 7 decimal digits. ... The bit about 32-bit machines seems somewhat of a non-sequitur. ... have 64-bit single precision reals on 32-bit machines; ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: A function is an address
    ... of today's compilers. ... but this is due to the language ... actually calling it) normally produces a pointer to that function. ... on real machines is, in general, the address of the first instruction ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Enterprise COBOL v5.1 and RDz v9.x
    ... I started with development on little machines in the early 1980s, ... if the compilers came from the same manufacturer. ... and this is even true if the abend occurs in production environment ... rollout to Windows and to the different Unixes is done after that. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)