a weird COMMON fact

I have been running code foreever that had

common /name1/var1,var2
common /name1/var3,var4,var5

in the same sub-program.

The intent was, of course, to call the second common /name2/.

I corrected it and the results are still the same, because
var3,var4,var5 occur only in that sub-program (I haven't gotten round
to doing whatever I was planning to do with var3-5.)

Why doesn't the compiler (Lahey) flag this as an error or at least as
a warning?

  • Re: a weird COMMON fact
    ... common /name1/var3,var4,var5 ... The intent was, of course, to call the second common /name2/. ... var3,var4,var5 occur only in that sub-program (I haven't gotten round ... The list following each successive appearance of the same common block name is treated as a continuation of the list for the block associated with that name. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: a weird COMMON fact
    ... common /name1/var3,var4,var5 ... The intent was, of course, to call the second common /name2/. ... var3,var4,var5 occur only in that sub-program (I haven't gotten round ... The list following each successive appearance of the same common block name is treated as a continuation of the list for the block associated with that name. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: a weird COMMON fact
    ... common /name1/var1,var2 everywhere except one sub-program where it was ... And it compiles just fine. ... the second statement simply extends the named common NAME1 just as if it had been written as ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Two Lying Presidents......
    ... > Civil assault, perhaps, Under Virgina law, common-law criminal assault ... > "required an attempt or offer committed with an intent to inflict ... The common law definitions I've seen generally don't require ...
    (rec.sport.basketball.college)
  • Re: Natural Selection explains "everything" says Kingfisher
    ... become less common. ... and unfavorable traits that are ... Is this what everybodies intent is with Natural Selection? ... Does NS explain everything - Kingfisher thingks so. ...
    (talk.origins)