Re: "Double Precison" Keywords?

robin <robin51@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

| IBM S/370 and successors support 128 bit (extended precision)
| in hardware.

but not division in the case of S/370.

IBM did a cost/benefit study, and found that DXR was used rarely
enough that a software implementation was the best choice.

The did reserve the opcode for it, such that when it was
implemented in ESA/390, programs would be ready for it.

| The VAX architecture includes it, but allows for
| software emulation by the OS to support it. VAX compilers, then,
| assume that the hardware supports it, whether or not it does.

| Other than IBM, is there other hardware currently, or recently,
| in production with REAL*16 support?

REAL*16 is a non-standard.

It is supported by the IBM and VAX compilers, though.

-- glen

  • Re: Anyone running Linux and XLF on a PowerMac G5?
    ... afterwards IBM dropped support for it when Apple moved to Intel ... The other problem is that IBM XLF was only supported on MacOSX up to ... MacOSX 10.6 is intel-only and is not supported on PPC hardware at ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Hardware Support : IBM vs STK
    ... I was not aware of STK supporting RS6K hardware! ... both support structures and want to make you aware that IBM must first ... IBM should be able to certify its own hardware?? ... Administrators) STK did the hardware calls for them. ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Dynamic Lpar On P650 AIX 5.2 with HMC
    ... We have finished with communications "SAN Cards GB etc." we were told by ... our IBM rep that once that was finished we needed to call and have a CE ... I called IBM "software and hardware" support to schedule ... Support had a hard time understanding what we needed. ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: GPFS (not GFS)
    ... It was packaged under the IBM ... but all the docs point to GPFS are only able ... SAN or server components) is very hard to verify with hardware from ... Yes, when GPFS only worked on AIX, it was easier to support the different ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: IBM ServeRAID-7K support in FreeBSD?
    ... You can just try one of the 5.3 release candidates on the hardware. ... Talk with your IBM marketing rep or IBM business partner about what it ... would take to make this a configuration IBM will support, ... I'm keeping away from hardware RAID until the vendors come ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)