Re: Scalar Pointers Pointing at Array Elements

Richard Maine <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(snip)

1. When you allocate a pointer, the allocated entity has the target
attribute and thus can be pointed at. That might seem almost a
tautology, but it is a point that has been known to confuse people (such
as me; it was a long time ago, but I do recall once being confused).
After all, the keyword TARGET doesn't appear anywhere; there is only the
keyword pointer. The perhaps subtle distinction is that, although the
pointer doesn't (and can't) have the target attribute, when you allocate
a pointer, that anonymous allocated thing does have the target
attribute.

But one might want to point at a pointer, and not just to the
target of the pointer. That seems much more common in C, though.

-- glen
.