Re: Google -originated spam is now 99.7%

On Apr 21, 3:20 pm, urbanj...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Terence <tbwri...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For information.
(Yes, I also use a reader to avoid this).
My point is that the newbie seeking help may very well be put off, if
his only information is to search in Google groups.

How about an FAQ or people posting articles to the Fortran Wiki to help newbies?
For example, Users who prefer screen-based GNU-Linux/Unix tools might find that
 all they have to do is:
 1) register at a newsserver such ashttp://news.eternal-september.org
    This can take under two minutes.
 2) Get their username and password in their e-mail giving them access to
    their Usenet server, if required (E-S usage requires this step).
 3) Using the above-mentioned example server (a free service) type:
       tin -g news.eternal-september.org -p 118 -A comp.lang.fortran

    Play with the arrow keys, return key, and tab key or read the man(1)
    page for tin(1). Quickly set up filters by moving onto annoying messages
    and entering ctrl-K and adding filters for things such as "without a
    prescription". Customize to your heart's content by entering "M".

Tastes vary tremendously, and many users might prefer a GUI-based system, I
am sure.  CygWin users will have a harder time than this
if they want to post responses (they have to set up their mail, which I find
a good number of CygWin users do not bother doing because they already have a
mail GUI in MSWindows); but simple instructions like this might prevent this
forum from being ignored by many who could benefit from it.

Plus I am wondering, if someone is willing to moderate another Fortran-related
Usenet group, why not ask him to moderate this one? Earlier posts alluded to
this.

All other languages I use have active FAQs, moderated newsgroups, very active
repositories of donated software, and community-supported Wiki's or web sites.
It saddens me that I can not say the same for Fortran.

I already moderate groups.google.com/group/fortran_ (with trailing
underline).
This c-l-f group was set up in Usenet and is not organised for
moderation.
(And I have a tiny repository of some once-famous Fortran programs).
Google groups which ARE moderated don't accept spam, even self-adverts.

  • Re: Random observations in lieu of a trip report
    ... pass to ride it again. ... Beach Club to Carribean Beach, ...   Phenomenal, in every way. ... $$ for a moderate rather than always staying at Pop Century. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: The only good thing to come out of Philly besides cheese steaks...
    ... etc.   An all-around straight shooter. ... years has finally disgusted Smerconish enough to leave the party as of ... the way you moderate a party is vote for moderates in the ... temper the extremes of both parties by choosing between those extremes ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Obama golf day #52
    ... more moderate. ...   Does the name Dick Armey ring a bell? ... The Tea Party is making the GOP MORE ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: Good Bye AVLV
    ...  What do they moderate ...   ...flavors? ... personal attacks or way off topic stuff. ... to clarify that I was understanding you correctly,and I was. ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • Re: === The verbal and the cyber war ===
    ... As said I write articles that I publish via the uncensored internet ... for the author in Google Groups and not even possible in Usenet. ...   located? ...
    (soc.culture.burma)