Re: Is this a compiler error?

Michael Trover <mtrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[an incomplete example]

Little can be concluded from the excerpt you showed. We would need to
actually see the functions - not just a description of their interface.
Yes, it matters. A lot.

As is, we have no guarantee that the code is even valid Fortran at all.
There are many things that you could do in the functions that would make
the code invalid in ways that might not be obvious to you. Function side
effects are *VERY* high on that list. WIthout seeing more data, that
would be my guess as to what might be happening, but that depends very
much on the functions, which you didn't show.

Isn't Fortran suppose to be associative and commutative?

No. Those words don't even appear in the Fortran standard. (I just
grepped the source of the f2003 standard to make sure I was telling the
truth). So you'd first have to very precisely define exactly what you
meant in the context of a programming language. No the definitions you
learned in grade school arithmetic are not sufficient to directly apply
to programming languages.

As for associative, absolutely *NO* *NO* *NO*. Finite precision floating
point arithmetic is never associative. That's not a language matter;
that's computer hardware.

There has also been hardware that was not commutative for some basic
arithmetic operations. I forget the details, and it was an oddball case,
but such have existed.

At a higher level, which does get into language issues, it is up to you,
the programmer, to write your functions in such a way that their side
effects don't cause "oddities". In most cases of oddities like the one
you show the code is technically illegal Fortran, but illegal in a way
that compilers don't tend to catch for you. Failing to catch such things
is not a compiler bug; the standard doesn't require it, and it is often
impractical for a compiler to do.

Using PURE functions greatly increases the odds of the compiler catching
things like that. Unfortunately, PURE functions are so limitted that
many things can't be done with them. For example, you can't have
diagnostic output in them.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
.