Re: storing an integer in a double precision

gmail-unlp <ftinetti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see (I think), the problem is that the Do loop control variable
after the loop would have a "wrong" value, which could cause that the
program never starts, for example... how is this explained in the
standard?

I'm on a trip and don't have a copy here (or feel like downloading a pdf
one over the hotel net connection). So all I can do is describe it
generally. There are 3 pieces.

1. In the descrption of DO loops, it describes what the final value of
the variable shall be. In the case in question, that value is out of teh
range of values that than can fit in the variable.

2. Somewhere, it says that a program is nonconforming if it involves an
operation whose results are out of range. I'd have to paw around a litle
to find that one and its exact wording, but it is a pretty basic
requirement of the standard. Fortran isn't Ada.

3. Way up front, in the very beginning of the standard, it says that the
standard does not specify what happens to programs that do not conform
to the standard.

Put those 3 together, and you have the result mentioned.

--
Richard Maine
email: last name at domain . net

  • Re: 4-20mA Analouge input
    ... Im sure there is a standard im meant to be following but im not sure ... between field sensors and process control ... electronics in the control house. ... loop voltage also 'powers' the field sensor device. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Jump to multiple loop termination line
    ... The standard also "agrees" with this preference in that the practice is obsolescent in the standard. ... That place is inside the outer loop, ... (And the one compiler writer that I referred to before didn't realize it was an extension). ... I have also seen compilers that don't detect the error, but give various "strange" results from it. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: How do I exit a for loop in C#
    ... AND DONT TRY TO INJECT THEM AS NORM OR STANDARD OR AS ... steadfastly refuse - to make a proof for a generalized statement based on ... supportable, based as a style guide - you dictate the style guide, and I'll ... > while loop than my for loop. ...
  • Re: 4-20mA Analouge input
    ... Im sure there is a standard im meant to be following but im not sure ... from a 24vdc power supply. ... loop voltage also 'powers' the field sensor device. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Another String reversal question
    ... Note that long before the STL, it was standard practice in C to use half ... open intervals -- the standard loop over an array, for example, was: ... Applying this logic to reverse "iterators" (where iterator is used to ... the standard reverse loop was: ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)