Re: Why Fortran Still Matters (Steve Lionel interview)

On 2011-09-25 16:30:36 -0300, Richard Maine said:

Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sande@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On earlier PCs I had a nice commercial boot manager that had the nice
feature that it would default to the last OS used and one only had to pay
close attention when changing OS. All the current ones I have seen lack
this feature. Maybe someone can suggest one I have missed.

The one I use doesn't work like that, but I do find it convenient for my
use. Might not be so for yours. It is called bootchamp (don't overlook
the "h"). It facilitates my usual mode of operation, which is

1. I always first boot into OS X, which is what I'm usually using.
2. If I want to go to Windows, select the "Restart into Windows"
option in bootchamp.

I never change the default boot setting.

This might sound pointless, as I have to boot twice to get to Windows,
but I actually find it a big improvement. What it saves is having to
wait during the boot for just the right time to press the magic key
combination to select which OS to boot. I just tell bootchamp to go to
Windows and I can walk away, say to refill on caffeine (or empty out, as
the case may be), while the reboot happens. I used to end up booting
multiple times because I'd be distracted and miss the right timing to
hit the magic keys. No more worrying about timing.

Don't know whether it would help you or not.

Wandering a bit OT for Fortran, I admit.

I was hoping for a PC bootmanger with memory to switch Windows versions
or Linux versions on my PC. Linux and EFI booting seems to be more sporting
than I currently care for on my Mac. My guess is that the current bootmanagers
are trying to not change the disk so end up foregoing the useful feature
of memory (as well as several other neat things the old System Commander did).

On the Mac I would settle for some utility that lets me change the active
MBR partition from MacOsX. Not having to set the startup disk back sounds
nice. Probably not the most convenient on MS patch day with its multiple
Windows reboots.

I am releived that I am not the only one who does not like having to
pay attention to a long string of boot screens before getting to make
a choice of which OS.

  • Re: Why Fortran Still Matters (Steve Lionel interview)
    ... feature that it would default to the last OS used and one only had to pay ... It is called bootchamp (don't overlook ... I always first boot into OS X, which is what I'm usually using. ... If I want to go to Windows, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: How to remove the parasite, popupsearches.com?
    ... See Tip to clean up your PC. ... What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
  • Re: Boot up problem... with a difference
    ... Safe mode boot is fine. ... Looked further into the last errors and noticed PXRD Driver. ... Event Type: Error ... Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in ...
  • Re: Slow booting xp home.
    ... What is a normal sort of boot time for an older machine? ... 30s to the windows screen? ... Installing and Registering Visual Studio Express Editions Smart Device ... Microsoft Robotics - Hardware Configuration and Troubleshooting Data ...
  • Re: Important Files Security, etc.
    ... "HiLite" feature exposes differences between the two files. ... or changed files in your hard disk drive. ... Comes with a simple procedure to backup and restore your Windows system ... "PKZIP/UNZIP" for Dos will restore the Windows system to exactly the way ...
    (alt.computer.security)