Re: once again: where to declare what

In article <j7kfcj$j56$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

logical error
call my_routine(some_arguments,error)
if (error) then

I presume you never tried alternate returns, which seem designed
for this, and also designed to make it less readable.

I used alternate returns extensively in some of my f77 library
codes, first written about 30 years ago. However, alternate returns
were declared obsolete in one of the recent standards (f2003, I
think, but I'm not sure). So now, I'm pondering rewriting those
library routines (and the calling programs, of course) using some
other approach, probably like the above, but with an integer "error"
rather than logical.

In any case, I would hesitate to recommend alternate returns for new
code.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

  • Re: [OT] Re: Why multiplication not allowed?
    ... On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote: ... > Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote: ... > I presume you didn't run the loop, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • RE: Vlookups (sum of)
    ... I presume if I just want to pick up 2 codes rather than a ... "Caroline" wrote: ... I have some data that I want to produce some summary figures from: ...
  • RE: End of file
    ... In a previous article, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote: ... Since the second READ doesn't have an END=, I presume ... that is the one that is failing. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)