Re: once again: where to declare what

In article <j7kfcj$j56$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

logical error
call my_routine(some_arguments,error)
if (error) then

I presume you never tried alternate returns, which seem designed
for this, and also designed to make it less readable.

I used alternate returns extensively in some of my f77 library
codes, first written about 30 years ago. However, alternate returns
were declared obsolete in one of the recent standards (f2003, I
think, but I'm not sure). So now, I'm pondering rewriting those
library routines (and the calling programs, of course) using some
other approach, probably like the above, but with an integer "error"
rather than logical.

In any case, I would hesitate to recommend alternate returns for new
code.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
.