Re: is real*8 a standard declaration style?

On Oct 30, 8:18 am, Gib Bogle <g.bo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/10/2011 1:59 a.m., Daniel Carrera wrote:

In some compilers, "double" will be 8, and in other compilers it will be
something else,

In my working life I've never met a compiler for which it is something
else, and I'm pretty confident that in what remains of it I will never
meet one.

Certainly Silverfrost compilers use numbers other than 4 and 8.
Those numbers are meaningless.

And even if you never "meet" such a compiler,
those that follow you may "meet" one,
in which case you code won't work (assuming that
you have persisted in writing non-portable code).

  • Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc
    ... Extrapolating my experience with base GCC I am very confident in it as a ... FreeBSD development tool. ... capable to install a compiler from ports or switch to clang as their default ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: help reading fortran generated binary data...
    ... > Could you then include information about the FORTRAN compiler too? ... The compiler being used is "Microsoft Fortran PowerStation, ... confident in it's general abilities to properly interpret the file's ... I'm quite confident that I am reading the ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Delphi 8 and future of EXE
    ... At 09:00:40, 04.05.2004, Marco van de Voort wrote: ... > make feel very confident. ... > However porting our own compiler was a bit less involved than I ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: What did I do?
    ... You (and Dick) are right on that. ... But I'm still quite confident that that's what the compiler ... f90 compiler is required to have the capability of diagnosing it. ... implementation or use of such an extension - I don't even encourage the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: is real*8 a standard declaration style?
    ... On 30/10/2011 8:26 p.m., Louisa wrote: ... and I'm pretty confident that in what remains of it I will never ... Those numbers are meaningless. ... And even if you never "meet" such a compiler, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)