Re: Is comp.lang.fortran dead?

dpb<none@xxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip, I wrote)
None of the other groups I read gets this drug spam,
though I don't know why CLF would have been a choice for it.

I see it (somewhat lesser, but similar patterns) on some others.

Which ones? Maybe we can find a pattern.

Last September I picked a couple of common spam phrases from the posts and did a google group search. Only about 5 groups had the phrases. c.l.f, comp.java.something-or-other, and 3 others. It was surprisingly (to me) limited. Which might be why google doesn't do much? I just sent a note to news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx about the spam. In the past, they've been remarkably quick at suppressing the stuff once they know about it. I think my message is to contact you newsfeeder and complain POLITELY (nobody likes to be shouted at!) with a couple of examples. I don't know about google, but all of the other newsfeeders I've dealt with have tried to do the right thing.

Dick Hendrickson

One other (also computer language related) gets innundated w/ offshore
athletic shoes (I presume counterfeits) in similar way as clf gets the
drugs. Why any one group for a particular type of spam I've no clue but
seems to be a feature...

Many years ago, I was getting much Chinese spam e-mail.
(which I couldn't read). Sometime later, I decided that it came
from posting to the *.*.java.machine (I forget the *) group,
and someone collecting addresses from all groups with chin in
the name. No guess on the connection between fortran and drugs.

-- glen

  • Re: Google stats on postings
    ... All contributions to a discussion have a top-line, ... why you think it is spam. ... CLF is partly based on me pressing those buttons. ... we ought to impress upon Google the need to ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Another Fortran forum (without the spam)?
    ... install a newsreader and configure its filtering mechanisms, ... Even after having filtered out spam, ... number of discussions on CLF about Fortran declines severely. ... Ignoring its impact is ignoring the demise of CLF. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Another Fortran forum (without the spam)?
    ... install a newsreader and configure its filtering mechanisms, ... Even after having filtered out spam, ... number of discussions on CLF about Fortran declines severely. ... You have to keep the fitered postings as I do and COUNT THEM per month ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: spam swamping - unable o post?
    ... On 8/8/2011 12:42 PM, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote: ... other group that is not affected by spam and for which the number ... of real postings has not dropped. ... The prescription drug spam in alt.support.diabetes started dropping ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Another Fortran forum (without the spam)?
    ... have many times more spam than clf and approach the same signal:noise ratio and clf should see a cessation of spam activity in comparison as its overall traffic really isn't very high. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)