whose 8051 cc omits the insignificant bytes of call instructions

From: PPAATT (ppaatt_at_aol.com)
Date: 01/10/04

    Date: 10 Jan 2004 14:15:36 GMT

    > Subject: whose 8051 cc overlays static inline stack frames

    And is there any persuading 8051 cc folk to work to eliminate the waste of the
    call instruction?

    People I know in real life are actually shipping a chipset whose effective cost
    pointlessly includes an external memory merely because their C compiler doesn't
    know how to eliminate the call instruction. They consequently blew out of
    masked rom space within their die.

    That is, they ship code that doesn't fit:

    _asm { call a; call b; call c; ... }

    Even though they have the time for code that does fit to work:

    { a, b, c ... }

    And indeed they have time for the more extremely smaller alternative to work:

    { '\0', '\1', '\2', ... }

    What they don't have people/ time for is the translation by hand. And they're
    too invested in vendor-specific extensions to contemplate switching compiler
    vendors. But again, so far as I know, offline, there's no convincing the
    compiler vendor that this is a problem worth solving, so I'm here now, hi.

    Maybe someone somewhere sells a translator from 8051 machine code back to 8051
    machine code that disassembles and reassembles the code image in order to omit
    the insignificant bytes of the call instructions? We could feed in a symbol
    table to let us declare which code we don't want compressed.

    Thanks in advance, Pat LaVarre
    http://members.aol.com/ppaatt/losslessc/
    http://plavarre.blog-city.com/

    • Understanding PIC machine code
      ... If I compile the above thru an existing PC compiler I get a .hex file ... Looking at the first instruction, BCF PORTA,0 equates to machine code ... Where's the 0100 opcode? ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Time Gets Near For Agamemnon To Go
      ... Who needs an assembler when you've memorised the entire Z80 ... compiler is the last thing you would use. ... writing it directly in machine code. ... If you ain't memorised the instruction ...
      (rec.arts.drwho)
    • Re: Understanding PIC machine code
      ... > I'd like to write my own PIC compiler... ... > According to the spec - the BCF instruction is the following format: ... > Looking at the first instruction, BCF PORTA,0 equates to machine code ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Advising the US Government on Malware Bots
      ... No. Consider the future when the HegemonyCPU (HCPU) is accepted ... instruction set for the local keyed PC. ... HJavascript interpretter. ... instructions that are keyed to compiler capabilities. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Hiring Advice
      ... routine as I like seeing how the various higher level language constructs ... The problem I find with reviewing generated code is the compiler ... That's sort of like believing something just because you read it ... in which I was used to vendors producing very high quality code (and ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)