Re: You guys always have the answers

From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (larwe_at_larwe.com)
Date: 03/05/04

    Date: 4 Mar 2004 18:06:18 -0800

    > I am involved in a handheld project and am looking for an LCD controller
    > chip with the following features:
    > 320x200x4-bit color minimum capability
    > NTSC composite output (PAL would be nice to have, too)

    Suggestion: If you insist on having NTSC/PAL output, then why don't
    you just use an LCD with NTSC/PAL input? That way you only need to
    look for a suitable part with composite video output, which is a bit
    easier.

    Personally I would rather not have the analog video out, since it's
    kind of at loggerheads with the idea of a "portable" device anyway.

    I agree with onestone's point that you're going to find QVGA much more
    easily than 320x200. And you can use the extra 20 pixels either for
    emulation state info, or for 10 scanlines of border on each side of
    the screen :)

    I joined the group you pointed to, it's very interesting. Personally I
    have always wanted a pocket ZX Spectrum (because I had soooooo many
    greatly loved games on that system, and it's also very easy to
    emulate). I've played with emulators on WinCE pocket beasts, but
    they're just silly - no keyboard.