Re: Is there demand for algorithm optimization?

From: jamie (no_at_spam.com)
Date: 03/11/04

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:55:31 -0500

> I disagree. In many markets there is certainly a demand for the development
> of efficient, cost effective algorithms, especially in cost sensitive
> applications where added hardware is not an option
>
> Some years ago I was involved in an early electronic camera project where
> highly innovative exposure, contrast enhancement and dithering algorithms
> running on a very low cost 8 bit micro transformed a boring product into a
> world beater. This algorithm optimisation expertise, as demonstrated by
> this product, enabled us later to sell that expertise to other
> manufacturers of similar products.
>
> ian

Hi Ian,

I see your point. But I would also bet that your algorithm optimisation
was greater than factor 2.

Regards,
Jamie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Selection-Sort in C
    ... solving that problem is the cost of the best algorithms. ... making is to assume that all sorting algorithms are comparison sorts. ... Thetawhere n is the number of bits in the data set. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Theoretical Problems
    ... people use algorithms for finding least cost travelling ... I have been in many parts of the IT industry (including ... people in commerce and industry actually care that much about least cost ... Linear optimization and piece-wise linear convex minimization are very ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Is there demand for algorithm optimization?
    ... jamie wrote: ... >> development of efficient, cost effective algorithms, especially in cost ... contrast enhancement and dithering algorithms ... > Hi Ian, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Theoretical Problems
    ... people use algorithms for finding least cost travelling ... salesman algorithms to actually plan the routes of travelling ... people in commerce and industry actually care that much about least cost ...
    (sci.math)