Why to up/not grade to/from W98 (was: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released)

From: CBFalconer (cbfalconer_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/14/04

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:12:35 GMT

Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" <jya@ieee.org> wrote in message
>> Meindert Sprang wrote:
>
>>> The serial ports are completely accessible at register level
>>> in NT and 2000. For the parallel port are numerous drivers
>>> available that, once installed, allow any program to access
>>> the parallel port at register level.
>>
>> Only if you do it right according to NT calls. It's not only a
>> barrier to migration, but the extra time is distressing in a
>> 66 MHz machine.
>
> That is simply not true. I have written several DOS applications
> in the past that access serial ports at register level, i.e.
> direct access to the serial chip. These application still run
> fine in Windows NT and 2000. Only direct access to the printer
> port is blocked.

Which is quite enough to foul up software. I had an extremely low
cost application some years ago, whos primary function was to read
a miniature cassette tape recorded in the equivalent of MFM with
peculiar blocking. The interface was a single 25 cent CMOS chip,
largely to set proper disconnected defaults. The functions
included forward/reverse fast/slow (and off) motor control, head
mind tieing up the PC for the read period, so all was done in
software - including clock/data separation. This involved some
calibration against CPU clock speed and unfettered raw access to
the printer port.

In addition, why do you want to contribute to the MS oligarchy?
Go and read their current EULAs with care and mounting horror.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SPI to RS232 Conversion
    ... write a kernel-mode device driver. ... If you need direct port access, DOSEmu on Linux is probably the best ... Direct access to ports below 0x400 can be enabled via the CPU's ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: WinVista as Host for C64?
    ... allow for direct access to the printer port which X-cables tend to use. ... The main thing is not emulating. ... So the main thing is the software has to support the interface cable/device ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: DAC software
    ... Win95/98/ME allows the direct access to ports with the interrupts disabled. ... There are the special drivers for the port hacking in WinNT/2k/XP. ... solution using the dos found on the windows boot disk. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: DTR _outp( 0x3F8 + 4, 1 )
    ... I don't have to use anything special to gain direct access ... to the port, so giveio is not needed. ... int main(int argc, char **argv) ...
    (comp.programming)