Re: MAXQ core

From: Paul Curtis (
Date: 03/17/04

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:23:49 -0000

"Jim Granville" <> wrote in message
> > Anybody any more information? Any controllers based on this?
> > Anything?
> There was a brief thread on this here a few says ago.
> Without memory reach Opcode numbers, (or even MHz) it is hard to
> compare, but I'd call the MAXQ a very brave step for MAXIM.

I'd say it's a step in the right direction. The 8051 has run out of puff,
even with chilli sauce on it to make it go faster.

> Much of what they describe are HW techniques they could apply to
> ANY core, so why invent a new wheel ( new SW, new training .... )
> Microchip are way behind on dsPIC, and anyone remember cyantech ?

Cyan was an offshoot from Cambridge Consultants, and the XAP core is, IIRC,
doing OK, and XAP2 is now out and about. I have a Cyan dev kit, it was
quite nice, but the core was a bit of a dog to do byte stuff with.

-- Paul.