Re: Two quick RS-485 questions

From: Meindert Sprang (mhsprang_at_NOcustomSPAMware.nl)
Date: 05/03/04

Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:26:30 +0200

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
news:608b6569.0404290931.33c27d32@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have to implement a very simple multidrop RS485 application,
> carrying slow 2400bps or even 1200bps data from a PC to a half-dozen
> devices about 300 feet away. The data flow is unidirectional; the
> devices don't talk back. Low cost is a significant factor in this. I
> plan to stick an RS485 driver on an AVR, weld on the small additional
> logic I need, and put it in a box.
>
> Two quickies:
>
> 1. What's the cheapest assembled RS232 to RS485 converter I can
> recommend to the customer? (I'm not supplying this piece to him. I am
> going to test with an SBC that has RS485 built-in).

I think a current loop might be your cheapest option. You would need a
proper 'driver' at the TX side while all receivers are merely cheap
optocouplers at a fraction of the price of an RS-422/485 receiver. And as a
bonus, you'll get galvanic isolation for free.

> 2. Can I use cat5 network cable for the cable run? I ask because both
> I and the customer have metric truckloads of the stuff lying about.

With 2400 bps and a current loop you could even use fence wire. So yes, cat5
will be fine :-)

Meindert

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... Windows *does* write to a log, however, during a safe-mode boot what driver it is attempting to load. ... Any thermal issues and a lot of other hardware problems should show up ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ... There was a time when a server (even one that had been "burned ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: LF Antenna Design
    ... A 50 feet loop is huge. ... Over the decades, various WWVB receivers ... I started reading Ham Radio in 1975 so probably missed that. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)
  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... driver issue initially, the fact that it seems to happen randomly now ... Hardware tests don't turn up anything, SBS 2008 CD boots fine, running ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ... can provide clean power to the server and resolve the issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... He copied in the hpcisss2.sys driver from the other ... Intel raid card for Server 2003. ... the not the unable to boot. ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Do Not Use FED EX to ship a backglass
    ... I have had numerous issues with Fed Ex, my driver not stopping at my ... I end up having to go to the customer ... The latest one was when I had a Cyclone ramp shipped. ... People who ship and care about their products/customers SHOULD NEVER ...
    (rec.games.pinball)