Re: Towards better embedded software (long

From: Steve at fivetrees (steve_at_NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com)
Date: 05/06/04

Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 04:11:09 +0100

"Darin Johnson" <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message
news:cu1vfjaif6g.fsf@nokia.com...
> larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) writes:
>
> The original point seemed to imply that having experience at fixing
> bugs wasn't a good thing. However, 99% of all the programming I do
> involve code someone else has written, even if only peripherally.
> Ie, maintenance (the vast majority of programming falls into this
> category), using a library, integrating software, porting software,
> etc.

I didn't mean to imply that troubleshooting was not a useful skill. Like
you, I've done a fair amount of alien legacy code maintenance (although not
99%); my views are very much coloured by this experience ;). I think it's
clear, though, that a tendency to rely on debugging as an alternative to
good design is not a desirable attribute in a job candidate.

> Thus, I wouldn't necessarily want to a hire programmer who had little
> experience in debugging due to never creating bugs. I'd first think
> they were lying or a bit too arrogant to work in a team.

I've occasionally run into something like this. Occasionally there is a gulf
between what I consider "Best Practice" and what is actually going on. Years
ago I probably would have frightened them; in my dotage I've learned
diplomacy and I figure I can help them. I love mentoring... it's how I learn
too. Is this arrogance? Not sure. I consider myself a craftsman; I'm proud
of my skills, certainly.

> But second,
> being able to deal with imperfect code is an essential skill.
> Being able to work without a specification or a formal list of
> requirements is a very useful skill also :-)

Agreed!

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Development engineering
    ... Yeah, debugging skill #1 is diagnosis -- fixes are easier, more often ... The skills of, say: finding bugs; ... the deucedest ones in my experience), distributed programming (...runs ... that debugging -- if I took a week to learn it, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Letter to US Sen. Byron Dorgan re unpaid overtime
    ... witness some of the websites and "programming ... Offshore developers do very ... >> and concludes that all liberals must be rich. ... It is jejune to get into debates about skill. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: OpenSSL development (Heartbleed)
    ... Is it possible to identify a particular client side layer item that is relatively small that could be designed and written in Ada and that could "drop in" as a replacement? ... Some bugs were found in the final product. ... He chose assembler on a microprocessor for which he had no experience. ... He followed the new programming style guidelines from our SQA. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Revisiting an old friend: Set oRS = Nothing
    ... > Yet bugs have been documented that have been corrected by explicitly ... metaphor: "defensive programming". ... recent discovery of the cargo cult metaphor. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • Re: To Richard Heathfield: enoughs enough
    ... > skill, albeit in a narrow range, should develop videogames) informs ... the fact that you don't realize that video game programming ... > In my case it was a mistake ONLY if the code was intended to be what ... asking you questions on general programming concepts, ...
    (comp.programming)