Re: "Am I still working okay?" asked the micro controller...

From: Spehro Pefhany (speffSNIP_at_interlogDOTyou.knowwhat)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:58:17 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:12:52 +0300, the renowned Paul Keinanen
<keinanen@sci.fi> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:54:55 GMT, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
>wrote:

>>> That is cool idea !..
>>
>>And not so simple. What takes the vote? What if it fails?
>
>Use mechanical or pneumatic voting, not electric.
>
>For instance, if you want to control a bidirectional relay, use a core
>with three separate coils, each controlled by a separate processor. If
>the current in two coils flow in opposite direction, the resultant
>magnetic field is zero. Then the third coil will determine the
>resultant force alone.
>
>Paul

On one machine I'm very familiar with there are three safety
interlocks (one electrical (not electronic), one hydraulic, and one
mechanical). Only when all 3 agree it is safe is the electronics
allowed to do what it wants.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

  • Re: Planet Rock Saved
    ... Adding capacitors and coils affect the ELECTRICAL length of the antenna ... You can add 'loading coils' to make the an aerial electrically longer. ... In this case the aerial it's self is still working in a non ideal way, and not actually providing the correct impedance, but the electrical components between the aerial and the transmitter (or receiver) effectively adjust the impedance so that the receiver or transmitter think they are connected to a correct aerial. ... Or they use the electronics to match the aerial to the transmitter, effectively making the transmitter think it is connected to a correct aerial. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: 96-97 E36 reliability
    ... what are some common issues that occur? ... Do they still have problems with electronics and coils ... I'm starting to get "old BMW" valve train noise, ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer
    ... The voltage fed to the two coils in quadrature (220 turns, #22, on ... then whip up some crude switchmode timing electronics. ... Then try to get the bar magnet spin with a primitive 1,2,3 switching ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer
    ... The voltage fed to the two coils in quadrature (220 turns, #22, on ... This is probably the only way to move large stirring bars (8-10 cm ... If you go the normal route, a magnet on top of a motor, it gets very ... whip up some crude switchmode timing electronics. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: How to handle many I/O events - like a pinball machine?
    ... I'm an electronic newbie who's interested in robotics and electronics ... CPU can switch them all with few I/O lines. ... The coils are driven using latches that are set and reset to turn the ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)