Re: A lint classic

From: Rick Merrill (RickMerrill_at_comTHROW.net)
Date: 06/02/04

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:47:59 GMT

Oliver Betz wrote:
> Rick Merrill <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote:
>

>>>new_var = var << 16000; !!!
>>
>>I've SEEN that code before: it used the most
>>stable 'clock' in the h/w to create a delay!!
>

> Until the new compiler release optimizes away the statement silently.
>
> Delays shouldn't be done by HLL loops. Only assembler code or hardware
> counters should be used.

No joke! (I didn't say it was my code! It was in a code review - a
la the OP's example)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IEEE 1588 (PTP) at the nanosecond level?
    ... the hardware signal processing you'd need to account for a number of ... single-shot resolution using 90 MHz clock. ... timestamps, and this is probably easier with network packet timestampers ... GPS which usually suffers from delays which can't easily be measured, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: IEEE 1588 (PTP) at the nanosecond level?
    ... the hardware signal processing you'd need to account for a number of ... single-shot resolution using 90 MHz clock. ... All depends on how accurate and precise you can get your timestamps, and this is probably easier with network packet timestampers at both sides of a cable than with a wireless time transfer method like GPS which usually suffers from delays which can't easily be measured, like ionospheric delays. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: "We Never Use Assembly Language"
    ... interface with assembler code. ... Shifting the burden to GPU hardware is certainly a reasonable approach ... programming that has the luxury of JAVA style memory management. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: "We Never Use Assembly Language"
    ... interface with assembler code. ... scales down very badly on less powerful hardware. ... Multiple core and multiple processor hardware comes at a cost apart ... programming that has the luxury of JAVA style memory management. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.
    ... Not "visible" delays, I mean. ... For system that I'm speaking now is a Dell's laptop w/ AMD Tutorion64 ... GHz, 2G RAM, w/ Hitachi SATA 750G in it. ... hardware problem. ...
    (Debian-User)