Re: Firewire device evaluation kit?

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: 06/20/04

    Date: 20 Jun 2004 17:44:23 GMT

    Klaus Hitschler <klaus.hitschler@gmx.de> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a Firewire (IEEE1394) evaluation kit to learn about device
    > design and software interface (not host design).

    You imply that there's a difference between a 'device' and a 'host' in
    1394 communications, but AFAIK such a distinction doesn't exist.
    That's about the biggest conceptual difference there is between
    Firewire and it's strongest contestant: USB 2.0 is strictly
    host-oriented, to the point that you might come to believe the real
    reason it exists is to boost sales of prospective hosts, i.e.: PCs.

    • Re: Firewire vs USB2 for multichannel in?
      ... Use TI based host card. ... Indeed, the TI chipset for FireWire is a good place to start, but it is ... RAID adapter. ... becomes bus master to accomplish DMA transfer. ...
      (rec.audio.pro)
    • Re: How to get firewire to a laptop
      ... USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that ... you need the FireWire connection as well. ... Firewire Upstream Port'. ... USB is ...
      (comp.sys.laptops)
    • Re: Target Disk Mode not working?
      ... On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:42:31 GMT, Bob Wardrope ... I use a firewire bus powered external on my portable and am paranoid ... between host and device, host to host, host> device host without ... having to use special cables etc? ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2
      ... The alpha firewire driver from Netlabs.org appears to recognize the ... Host NodeId ffc0 IRMId ffc0 BusManagerId ...
      (comp.os.os2.setup.misc)
    • Re: How to ICS WinXP-SP2? This should be simple !
      ... I'm using firewire to network because the client ... The host PC links to the 'Net with a USB Motorola cable modem. ... I've run network set up wizard on both PCs, ... Internet connection on host says it's a shared connection. ...