Re: [req] Need suggestions for a micro

From: Avocet Systems, Inc (david_at_avocetDELETETHISsystems.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:51:43 -0400

Sean,

"Sean" <no.spam@no.spam> wrote in message news:40FD4750.3FF97994@no.spam...
> I have a client who is currently using a NEC V-25 at 16 MHz.
> This micro is no longer adequate for several reasons:
> (a) it's no longer manufactured, and (b) his expanded application
> requirements need more computing power.
>
> Can anyone suggest a replacement. Here's what we need:
>
> * At least 20 address lines
>
> * Can't be "PC-based", including PC-104. (ie it can't resemble
> an x86 any closer than the V-25.)

Yes, I can suggest a replacement: a 683xx or Coldfire processor. It has a
clean architecture,
no messy segmentation to deal with, and a plentiful supply of tool vendors:
SDS in Illinois,
HI-TECH,ourselves and others whose names I can't bring to mind at present.

> * 16-bit preferred

The registers are 32 bit but you can use them 16bit-wise; use the ".w"
specifier
on instructions.

> * at least 33 MHz or better (66 MHz preferred)

I think it can meet that.

> * reasonably priced and well supported development tools.

That really depends on whether you mean supported or maintained. If you
want decent support, a vendor is going to have to charge at the very minimum
$500
to be able to afford this without charging extra. If you mean "currently
maintained", that is a different question.

> (perhaps like AVRGCC for Atmel from avrfreaks.net)

If you want to go for GCC tools, you'll have to frequent GCC user groups to
get help.

> Any help appreciated

Not at all,

Dave Bardon, Avocet

> Sean

Relevant Pages

  • Problem installing DBI
    ... CPAN: File::HomeDir loaded ok ... The next questions deal with Module::Build support. ... Do you want to use a different command for './Build install'? ... 4/130 skipped: various reasons ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: A new paradigm
    ... First I use a 3rd party btree handler for several reasons - cross platform ... Therefore all our programs use a standard common area ... but no one in the rest of the market seemed interested. ... people just shifting where they're buying their features and support ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • my numerous saint wont slam before I waste it
    ... if Rifaat suddenly drives the cottage? ... The drives, reasons, and ... Just now Fahd will date the contrast, ... He'll be assuming in support of confident ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: topless bathing now allowed at all public swimming pools in Denmark at all times
    ... Again, I'm not saying that I agree with this, I'm ... Equality is equality, period. ... There can be many reasons for the ... since I can't believably say that I support their ...
    (uk.rec.naturist)
  • Re: Effect size with no control group?
    ... My only reason for doing the paired t-test ... on the reasons for this. ... When I see a patent that proclaims that certain data is ... lamp post for support. ...
    (sci.stat.consult)