Controlling PCF8583 clock chip with a PIC

From: John Gruenenfelder (johng_at_as.arizona.edu)
Date: 12/03/04

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:25:57 -0700

I have a board set up with a PIC16F877 microcontroller and on the I2C bus
I have a Phillips PCF8583 clock/alarm chip.

I am attempting to use the alarm function of this chip and thus far am
having almost no luck getting it to work. I know the I2C bus is good
because I have several other devices on it plus the clock function of this
chip is working fine.

Specifically, no matter what type of alarm I instruct the chip to enable
(i.e. daily, weekly, etc.) none of them seem to function. I can test this
by checking the interrupt output pin of the chip with a scope. The
interrupt generation is enabled, but nothing shows on the pin.

I realize this is rather general. My hope is that somebody else has used
this chip and may be able to help me with my problem. If, by any remote
chance, you have, please contact me or post a followup.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng@as.arizona.edu

Relevant Pages

  • Alphas Dec. 2011 trip: Epcot and the Studios
    ... December 10: Epcot and the Studios ... Chip and I got our mugs and our drinks, and then headed to the lobby. ... Anyway, we showered, dressed, and got out to the bus stop, waiting just ... offering breakfast during our visit in September, but checking the park ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Alphas 2009 TR - last day, DD
    ... Chip was awake and a bit disappointed that he didn't ... Dale, though, was very eager to go to Downtown Disney. ... This might have been the longest wait for a bus this trip. ... giving ourselves a laugh by picking out the exact wrong pins ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: i2c_adapter i2c-0: Bus collision!
    ... As we load sensor chip drivers, we make sure that the chip we want to ... Not all read errors are detected as bus collisions. ... Sorry for the delay again. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Board layout for FPGA
    ... so I gave each chip its own lines in that case since I had ... Are you thinking that, for example, pin D0 on one ram device is on the ... same bus line as pin D3 on the next ram device? ... squeeze any traces between the pads, so I'm trying to think of two ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Restoring a NorthStar Horizon, problems with SRAM board
    ... various chip pins for activity. ... bus drivers, the bus may have had some "fault" on it, a -5V across ... up, I can see there is inconsistent activity on the floppy drives, ... I suspect there is another bad part in the CPU board ...
    (comp.sys.northstar)