Re: Architectures

From: Grant Edwards (grante_at_visi.com)
Date: 01/06/05

Date: 06 Jan 2005 15:26:21 GMT

On 2005-01-06, Paul Burke <paul@scazon.com> wrote:

>> What do people think are the comparative merits of the AVR,
>> PIC, and 8051 architectures?
>>
>> Which one would you choose if you were teaching beginners, or
>> helping someone start from scratch?
>
> I'd choose something with a simple architecture and a simple
> orthogonal instruction set. I don't know the AVR,

I've used the 8051, but only studied the AVR and PIC. Of the
three, I'd say the AVR is the "best architecture" -- and there
is a gcc port, so professional-grade tools are free.

> don't like the PIC and the 8051 is a total mess (I use it a
> lot, and will consequently go to hell).

Your tense is wrong. You use the 8051 a lot, and consequently
are in hell.

> The 68000 is nice and simple,

The 68K is a very nice architecture. Not quite up to PDP-11
class, but close. Some of the 68K based SoC like the
Dragonball are pretty cool.

The 68HC12 isn't bad either, and some of the 16HC12 eval boards
are pretty cheap. [Both the 68K and the HC12 also have good
gcc ports.]

The Renesas (was Hitachi) H8 architecture is very simple and
orthogonal as well. There are both 16 bit and 32 bit versions
with all sorts of peripherals. And parts are CHEAP. You can
get a 32-bit, 25MHz processor with 128K of Flash, 4K of RAM,
two serial ports a bunch of timer/counters, etc. for $3.99 qty
1. [Good GCC port available as well.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm in a twist
                                  at               contest!! I'm in a

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AVR or 8051
    ... > changing to a different architecture just isn't much more work ... As an attempt to answer the original question why AVR, why 8051, if you ... multiple vendors for competitive bits has always been helpful to get a ... For the widest range of high quality peripherals based on 51 core have ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: AVR or PIC for a beginner
    ... Someone suggest me to start with PIC, someone else with AVR. ... Do they have the peripherals I need? ... because it takes time to spin up on a new architecture. ... Wescott Design Services ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24
    ... The only thing I don't like about the AVR is the Harvard ... >architecture this is nothing. ... I am not aware of an AVR compiler that ... supports "generic" pointers, hence when using pointers the programmer ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Embedded processor selection for long-life product
    ... The technical requirements can be satisfied by just about any 32bit risc style uP/uC, but one key requirement is that since the product life is decades long, the particular part or at least the architecture should continue to be supported by the vendor for as long as possible. ... What good does it do me to pick a popular architecture since the exact peripherals may not be exact matches down the road? ... The ARM core is used by many different vendors and has no standard peripheral set. ... All I can do is start with some assumptions and refine goals as I learn more. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Luminary Micro cut the price of their dev boards from $775 to $249.
    ... In most of my recent designs, it was the peripherals that drove the ... design just because the peripherals are a good match. ... first choice, whether explicit or not, was the architecture rather than ... and that they will be able to easily move between 8 and 32 bit cores. ...
    (comp.sys.arm)