Re: porting linux on 16 bit controller

From: Andreas (somewhere_at_else.com)
Date: 01/15/05

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:04:01 +0100

Hi,
I don't know, if it is really possible. But it is quite interesting and
I have thought about it, too. It would be the most energy efficient
linux micro :-) and relative powerfull as well (up to 16MIPS), if we
compare it to the 68EZ328 (http://www.uclinux.org/ucsimm/) with
typically 2MIPS. One would have to create a hardware abstraction layer
and try to simulate a 32 bit register with 2 of the (enough) existing 16
bit registers. Programm-memory and RAM has to be extended with I/O ports
parallel or SPI. Then one must write a kind of software MMU, that loads
and stores memory segments out of / to the external memory.

Greetings!
Andreas

anurag wrote:
> Is it possible to port linux on 16 bit controller made by texas
> instruments name "MSP430".How much ram and flash we needed to port
> linux.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A snapshot of the LuxAsm developments
    ... > After comparing a few drivers, it looks like some 'new' Linux ... command, which allows you to temporarily switch to "superuser", do whatever ... Ioperm sets the port access permission bits for the process for 'num' ... Only the first 0x3FF I/O ports can be specified in this manner. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Best microcontroller with Linux development tools
    ... I just prefer Linux. ... dependent files, for such items as i/o ports, local memory ... (C99, txt) ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)