Re: Microcontroller Vs Microprocessor for RTOS

From: Neil Kurzman (nsk_at_mail.asb.com)
Date: 02/01/05

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:07:24 GMT

s_subbarayan@rediffmail.com wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am just curious to know why almost all commercial popular RTOS like
> RTLINUX,Vxworks work mainly on Micro processor instead of
> Microcontrollers?
> AFAIK,I have seen Vxworks work on Boards like Intel x86,powerpc,ARM and
> all mentioned processor boards instead of real microcontrollers like
> 8051,68HC series from motorola and so.
> Why do RTOS prefer microprocessors as compared to microcontrollers?
>
> Though I know few RTOS like RTX-51 which runs exclusively only on 8051
> microcontrollers,still such things are not so common in embedded world.
>
> I would like to hear some real facts behind this decision instead of
> starting a religious war of using microcontrollers or microprocessors
> with RTOS...
>
> Regards,
> s.subbarayan

One Word "OVERHEAD"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microcontroller Vs Microprocessor for RTOS
    ... > all mentioned processor boards instead of real microcontrollers like ... > Why do RTOS prefer microprocessors as compared to microcontrollers? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Microcontroller Vs Microprocessor for RTOS
    ... > I am just curious to know why almost all commercial popular RTOS ... > like RTLINUX,Vxworks work mainly on Micro processor instead of ... > x86,powerpc,ARM and all mentioned processor boards instead of real ... > microcontrollers like 8051,68HC series from motorola and so. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Microcontroller Vs Microprocessor for RTOS
    ... RTLINUX,Vxworks work mainly on Micro processor instead of ... AFAIK,I have seen Vxworks work on Boards like Intel x86,powerpc,ARM and ... Why do RTOS prefer microprocessors as compared to microcontrollers? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Microcontroller Vs Microprocessor for RTOS
    ... >>I would like to hear some real facts behind this decision i­nstead ... >>of starting a religious war of using microcontrollers or ... >>micro­processors with RTOS... ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Are re-entrant functions not such a big deal?
    ... You are absolutely right that 8-bit microprocessors are seeing far ... system cost and providing -5, +5, and +12 volt rails). ... microcontrollers still rule the Earth because of the relatively low ... but to instantiate 8-bit processors in the logic for system control. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)