Re: alternative uC needed... i think

From: Ben Bradley (ben_nospam_bradley_at_frontiernet.net)
Date: 02/05/05

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:53:35 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:39:39 +0200, Maxim Kovgan
<maxk@cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:

>I was suggested to use ELan's microcontroller EM78P862A to drive a
>calculator I am working on. The problem is that I've begun working in C
>[ANSI] and I haven't found any C environments for this chip.
>So ... I am looking for a more convetional alternative, hopefully non
>killer, and very important: I run Linux OS [Debian Sarge]
>
>The problem is also in the fact I am now concentrated mainly on software
>development, and I am almost done... but:

   Huh? Are you compiling and running the code you're writing? With
what compiler, a resident Linux compiler?
   Code written in "ANSI C" and developed with a compiler for a large
system (Linux is really large compared to 8-bit micro's) won't
neccesarily compile (much less run) with a compiler targeting an 8-bit
microcontroller, even if it says it's "ANSI C." You might not even be
halfway done as far as getting your code to run on an 8-bit
microprocessor or microcontroller.

>I don't have a real C embedded development environment for that
>microcontroller... like:
>
>( a devel board -> COM1/USB -> PC
> \___________________________ JTAG )
>
>Is there a similar model of AVR/8051/Philips/PIC/Z80 or whatever. with C
>environment, preferrably runnable under Linux.

   I've got AVRGCC running on Windows, there is surely a Linux
version, and there are surely C cross-compilers running on Linux for
most if not all the other processors you listed.
   Decide what chip you will use, get the compiler for it, and port
the code you've already written to that compiler. THEN continue
software development. The sooner you see the limitations of the
compiler and target processor, the better off you'll be.
   There are simulators for many of these (at least for Windows - it
may be possible to compile on Linux and move the object code to
Windows to simulate it), so you can see your code run without even
having the actual chip.

>Thanks in advance and best regards.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is it dangerous?
    ... When I compile a program from our C course with a windows compiler ... Is linux more dangerous than windows? ... to the first character in a buffer, and stores an entire line from stdin ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: C++ with VS.NET and Twilight of the Microsoft Era
    ... this has to do diddly squat with the compiler used to compile ... VC6 is of the same generation. ... Most of the time we use the best tool for the job, and on windows, VC++ is ... tried to use GDB and DDD on linux to debug multithreaded frameworks. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: Einsteig in Microcontroller und Programmierung
    ... Linux Format nix anfangen kann. ... Problem und der Ignoranz von anderen Systemen für Quellcode Änderungen ... Und wenn ein Compiler abkackt, weil er ohne CR nicht leben kann, ist der ... Unter Windows konzernweit entwickelt und compiliert. ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: Settle a Bet
    ... with a Linux compiler, or it could be compiled to run in ... with a Windows compiler. ... platform will understand. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Use of C99 int types
    ... > those that actually are part of the C-implementation for Linux. ... the kernel definitions are part of /usr/include). ... The kernel uses __foobar stuff provided by the compiler because it has ... > the Gimp and GCC run on completely different architectures aswell. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)