Re: Does anyone have any experience with the PIC10F202?

Gregg:

We use the 10F20X here for our smallest products. We've been using them since November. We got the kits when they first came out, so I guess I've got some experience with it.

We're using CCSC, which is available on Linux. You can also write the code in assembly, and in fact you'll may have to write some parts in assembly. Nothing extravagant; the TRIS and OPTION registers are only accessible via the TRIS and OPTION commands in assembly. CCS recently included some statements to work with them, but the code wasn't broken so I didn't fix it.

You'll have to have an up-to-date version of CCSC. Note that they "fixed" some things when they added support for the 10F20X, so if you're upgrading from a previous version get ready for some serious pain.

It's a Windows shop here, and we use Quickwriter for the programming. Depending on the board, we have a $2 ICSP module that sits on the board or we use the $200 6-pin SOT-6 programmer before they get soldered on. It takes a while and the fuse settings don't seem to play nice together. You'll have to edit the configuration word in QW if you want the MCLR to stay off.

The development kit from microchip isn't supported in Linux. You may have to run an emulator or as they like to say on Slashdot, "Just write your own." I'd go for the emulator. ;)

The development kit they sent you won't work until you update the software. (At least, that was the case in November.) Go here and get the latest software:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010053

Good luck and have fun. It's a good little chip, and we're selling thousands of units based on it. It's making a big positive impact on our bottom line.

The Eighth Doctor wrote:
Hello from the Eighth Doctor
I just received my sample order of 3 devices of the PIC10F202 (DIP-8 package), from Microchip today.

Has anyone had any prior experience with this particular device? Or perhaps the PIC12 family? According to Microchip the PIC10, is a member of the PIC12 family. I'm not sure what they mean by this. What I am curious is how the devices were programmed, and what software tools were used to write the code. Linux based preferably.
---
Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

  • Re: OSS-friendly PC-connected PIC-type board?
    ... I want to play^H^H^H^Hexperiment and learn about PIC-type systems, ... of open-source DOS/Win tools for PIC, I really don't know about Linux tools. ... Microchip calls ICSP (In-Circuit Serial Programming). ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Newbie questions on Embedded Programming / Viper-lite 200MHz
    ... I am trying to learn Embedded Programming using Michael Barr's ... 200MHz system kit" to do all the examples in the book. ... using my Windows ... I have one of their embedded Linux kits, I think it may be an earlier Viper, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Learning PIC - where to start?
    ... I'm going to assume you have some programming experience. ... start would be to get a PICKIT 2 kit from Microchip, you'll have a 16F690, a ... of "What's a microcontroller" and a basic stamp development kit for openers. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • FS:Attention all PIC developers and wannabes
    ... 1 Microchip ICE 2000 Emulator with power supply ... 1 Microchip DVA16PQ441 processor interface board ... 2 40-PIN DIP EXTENSION HEADERS FOR EMULATOR POD ... 1 SGS-Thompson ST622X family starter kit development ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Attention: All PIC developers or wannabes.
    ... 1 Microchip ICE 2000 Emulator with power supply ... 1 Microchip DVA16PQ441 processor interface board ... 2 40-PIN DIP EXTENSION HEADERS FOR EMULATOR POD ... 1 SGS-Thompson ST622X family starter kit development ...
    (comp.lang.forth)