Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Steve Calfee <stevexcalfee@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Back in the early days of coin-op video games, when we first had x-y
> monitors (remember Asteroids?), we dreamed of having new display
> hardware based on r-theta displays. So you could rotate the screen
> (change theta) and then scale it by changing r.
>
> Those whining hardware guys said they could not do it (circa 1978)

Though that's exactly what early radar systems did.

They uses a round tube, with deflection on one axis, the deflection
assembly was motorized to spin around the tube. Thus the motor
position gives theta, and the electromagnetic deflection gives r.

Still, for most arcade games, having a polar coordinate display
would have caused more trouble than it solved. Even in games
where the majority of the action takes place in a polar coordinate
space, lots of things would have to be transformed since you often
need to be able to rotate objects around an origin independent of
the center of the global coordinate system. Also, displaying
the score and other text messages would have similar problems,
unless you actually wanted them displayed "wrapped around a
circle".

Eric

  • Re: A round shaped LCD screen
    ... we dreamed of having new display ... >> hardware based on r-theta displays. ... So you could rotate the screen ... transformation was possible. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Macbook Pro und Linux
    ... bekomme, welches einen C2D mit 2-4GB RAM einer 160GB HD einen Display, ... Kenne nur das Display eines ca ein Jahr alten MBP meiner ... die auch seitens des Herstellers unter Linux unterstützt werden. ... Wie in einem anderen Posting schon angedeutet wurde nimmt man Apple-Hardware primär wegen des Betriebssystems Mac OS X, nicht weil die Hardware selbst so qualitativ hochwertig wäre. ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.
    ... mind that we're still churning out people with 80 column ... register style cabinet that I hid the rest of the hardware, ... Matic tape machines of the day, including the display hardware I built from ... control it directly to the finished commercial tape. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: CE Development Time
    ... hardware, it will take months to generate one yourself. ... interrupts doesn't interfere with the display or logging operations. ... Then comes the effort to get the data from your USB device. ... you'll have to find or write a driver for it that Windows CE can use. ...
  • Re: Rotating Vertical text (in a text box) on a form
    ... A2003 doesn't have vertical text ability. ... label control or a text control can be "forced" into vertical by using a 1 ... I'm confused as to why you need to display ... Not sure why you need a button to rotate text... ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)