Re: Regarding interrupt sharing architectures!

Jim Stewart wrote:
Paul Keinanen wrote:

On PDP-11's the "bus grant" card was inserted into empty card slots to
get interrupt continuity.

Unfortunately these "continuity" cards were very small, installing one
into a slot previously occupied by an other card would either cause a
few bleeding fingers :-) or you had to remove the neighbouring cards,
insert the small bus grant card and then reinstall the original cards.

Just a minor detail, if the bus grant card had been of full size,
there would not have been any problems installing or removing it when
actual cards were removed or installed.

Field service calls were not unusual after
a customer "reconfigured" their machine and
didn't get the bus grant card right.

I spent my early 20's maintaining DEC and
DG minis.  I have a working pdp 8/l in the
garage.

There was a similar daisy-chain of interrupt and DMA chains in the DG minis.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  • Re: Regarding interrupt sharing architectures!
    ... into a slot previously occupied by an other card would either cause a few bleeding fingers :-) or you had to remove the neighbouring cards, insert the small bus grant card and then reinstall the original cards. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: SMC2623W CardBus wireless card
    ... Specifically, what kernel version you are running, what ... > I've managed to get cardmgr working, but it refuses to see the card. ... I'm running the SMC2632W-v3 with the Atmel WLAN drivers. ... Tauno Voipio ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: SMC NIC help
    ... >> drivers don't always work for SMC cards? ... >> know so i don't waste time trying all the drivers. ... Look on the card for the card type. ... > Tauno Voipio ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: WAN Router Tutorial
    ... Tauno Voipio wrote: ... Is there a driver for the card or enough ... tauno voipio iki fi ... Yes - there is a driver supplied, and it seems to be working - but we ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Do you see any future to the 8-bit MCUs?
    ... Same price, same flash consumption ... ... I just redesigned an old card using a 8051, an A/D converter, ... Stellaris chips are the potential replacements. ... tauno voipio iki fi ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)