Re: RS485 is bidirectional does it mean it is fullduplex?

Paul Keinanen <keinanen@xxxxxx> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:17:56 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees"
><steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>"Tim Mitchell" <timng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> RS485 is a 2-wire half duplex system where there is one transmitter and
>>> multiple receivers.
>>>
>>> RS422 is a 4-wire duplex system which goes between two devices, each of
>>> which has a transmitter and receiver.
>>
>>While this is essentially correct, I'd add:
>> - Don't forget ground - i.e. 2-wire is actually 3-wire, and 4-wire is
>>actually 5-wire.
>
>This is generally true in practice.

It *can't* be true in practice. The presumption is to provide a
signal ground, and it simply doesn't.

Any attempt at providing a signal ground is merely going to connect
frame ground between the two locations, which will very likely cause
more noise induction into the signal pairs than anything else.

>However, if you are using floating devices and the "fail safe"
>termination, the system will work with 2 resp. 4 wires, since the
>"fail safe" resistors will force the receiver power supply Vcc and Gnd
>potential close to the line potential and thus, within the common mode
>range of the receiver (-5..+12 V). Treat the terminated system as a
>bidirectional current loop (through the terminating resistors) and it
>should be easy to analyze how this works.

The circuit impedance is 100 Ohms. It *is* a current loop... :-)

>> - RS-422 is also multidrop (10 max drops, IIRC).
>
>The RS-422 impedance levels allows for multiple receivers, but I do
>not see how a multidrop bidirectional system could be implemented
>within the RS-422 specification.

What would prevent it? It's a fairly simple 4-wire arrangement
with a single master and 10 slaves plus a single 100 Ohm
termination on each cable.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@xxxxxxxxxx

  • Practice notes - day 2
    ... *Cornerback Hank Poteat, who wasn't on field for either workout Tuesday, returned to practice this morning. ... Some of the returners were rookie running back Laurence Maroney, rookie receiver Chad Jackson, rookie cornerback Willie Andrews, and wide receivers John Stone, Reche Caldwell, and Bam Childress. ... *When the teams broke up for offensive and defensive work in the running game, coach Bill Belichick stayed with the defense and would pull players aside to instruct them of the finer points of gap control. ... There was no defense on the play. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: Camp Observations
    ... Chad Brown and Monty Beisel BOTH didn't practice. ... > -Jake Schifino, a receiver, dropped numerous balls. ... > they put on first team returns or coverage teams. ... > either their newspaper or blog reports yesterday and early today, ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Camp Observations
    ... Chad Brown and Monty Beisel BOTH didn't practice. ... Gus Scott was with the first team defense. ... -Jake Schifino, a receiver, dropped numerous balls. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • (PI) McMullen in Prime Position
    ... the receiver hopes this is his chance. ... after two unproductive seasons with the Eagles. ... Achilles tendon in Friday's practice. ... "We feel comfortable with the receivers we have," Reid said. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.phila-eagles)
  • Re: Satelite TV
    ... I don't see any restrictions on Dish that says you have to have multiple receivers on the account to order mobile service. ... Not to say having cable AND Dish would be very cost effective but it's certainly possible to have just the RV receiver on the account. ... With Dish at home, she could get a receiver for the RV, and turn it on and off, as well as turning the home service off when traveling. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)