Re: Embedded FAT16 -> FAT copy handling

nono240-no-spam@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully implemented a FAT16 on my CF, but i don't know how to
deal with the fat copy !

When modidying the original FAT, should i *REALLY* have to modify the
2nd FAT for each writes, or operating systems can handle *some* errors
in the 2nd fat ?

Thank you.

As far as I remember, the FAT format allows for 1, 2, or 3 copies of the FAT. DOS and Windows use two copies, and which they always update when writing. However, they only ever read the first copy - the second copy is ignored, so they will not notice if it is not updated. It may be that that will compare the two FATs during a chkdsk, but even then they treat the first copy as correct (after all, without any checksums or timestamps, there is no way of identifying the correct version). Other implementations of FAT might be more sophisticated and spot inconsistencies.

  • Re: Dateisystem auf CF-Karte
    ... Sektor für die FAT aus. ... Möglicherweise wurden die reservierten Sektoren nicht berücksichtigt. ... FAT16 auch nichts anderes als 1 verwenden. ... So ist z.B. ein FAT16 Dateisystem auf einem Medium mit 2k ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: Tod der optischen Medien
    ... Vorposters, FAT unterstuetze im Root-Verzeichnis nur 512 Eintraege, ... irgendwelchen Tools auch ein FAT16-Dateisystem mit einem grösseren ... Was bitte hat der BIOS Parameter Block mit den Eigenschaften von FAT16 zu tun? ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner)
  • Re: Problem with SD Card
    ... In Windows you can run Check Disk and Format as FAT. ... Its a Kingston 512 MB SD Card. ... FAT16 and FAT32. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: How to get Windows98 SE to work with Flash Drives larger than 1GB
    ... If I insert my Kingston 1GB stick, then select "format" for the thing, ... FAT (FAT12 or FAT16, as appropriate ?) ... FAT12 is offered? ... It leaves a generic "FAT" in the menu, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem with SD Card
    ... In Windows you can run Check Disk and Format as FAT. ... "Jens Klüsener" wrote in message ... FAT16 and FAT32. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)