Re: RS485 is bidirectional does it mean it is fullduplex?

"Paul E. Bennett" <peb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>>>Absolutely. Connecting to local ground at both ends of the run is a recipe
>>>for HUGE ground currents. I've seen (very) melted ground wires. It is
>>>indeed a safety hazard.
>>
>> Bullshit.
>
>When you deal with the MEGA-AMP power world you will get to see how much of

And since we are *not* dealing with a power distribution system,
your point seems to be less than appropriate.

>a safety hazard connecting the screens at both ends is. Consider that,
>under certain circumstances there may exist 75 to 80 Volts between the two
>earths and that the current source is huge by comparison to the screen
>current carrying capacity. If we assume that the run of cable has a screen
>resistance of about 1.5 Ohms (a reasonable figure for quite a 150m run of
>decent signal cable) then 80V * 80V / 1.5 Ohms gives you a power
>dissipation of 4.267kW along the length of the screen. So, you had better
>limit the current flow in the screen in some manner or you fry the signal
>cable.
>
>>>See my other post re isolated comms interfaces.
>>
>> Why not do some real research, and find out how it is actually
>> done.
>
>Many of us have and employ this sort of consideration in our daily practice.

Reality check time: telephone cables all across the country and
around the world are grounded every 3000 or 6000 feet.

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@xxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Emulation vs ARM-based hardware (side-discussion on What is your favourite RISC OS compu
    ... Not that I could ever answer that - connecting a netbook ... The SD card was one I had already (I have since purchased the RISC OS Open ... laptop). ... all the screens - the best settings for the new screen don't look as good on ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.hardware)
  • Re: ActiveSync 4.2 Screenshots?
    ... when i use my 2495 with one account, the activesync has no option button ... available without connecting the device, but when i use the 3835 with the ... "Raj Pillai" wrote: ... the device, but the screens for the 2495, the option button is not ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Laptop to TV via S-video = choppy results
    ... change the setting before connecting the tv next time. ... screens play choppy and then ran only the tv screen and it still plays choppy ... Video Memory Up to 384 MB ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • user-specific KDE screen configuration file?
    ... connecting a flat screen LCD. ... half screens with no accessible programs bar after loggin in to KDE. ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)
  • Re: Parents are upgrading to Flatscreen and HDTV
    ... Mom won't want wires hanging all over the ... The TV right now is on the left near the brick wall. ... specifically for table-top placement flat screens. ... When I had my first apartment there was a set of composite cables ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)