Re: Introductory Article on Embedded Systems-Routers

"Scott Drummond and Devin Patel" <pcwpesr@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I agree that Linux can be used, but I thought that it was only used
with PCs and not dedicated routers (ie, embedded systems). Is this not
true? Our topic was supposed to be mainly on embedded systems, so we
didn't devote much attention to using PCs as routers.
<<

Beware of terminology. "Embedded systems" includes "embedded PCs". I know of
a fair few routers that are i386 architecture running e.g. FreeBSD (there
are other Unices than Linux).

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

  • Re: Is Forth still interesting?
    ... Most of my career has been working in embedded systems, and most of the time it's been in C, most of the time on a target that doesn't have an operating system, and most ... They simply say that if you care about portability-- and not everyone does-- then you want ANS. ... a database is nothing more than a stream of fixed-size records that you can index by number. ... The problem with writing a "new Linux" in Forth boils down to one of two things, depending on what you mean by "new Linux." ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Write only memory
    ... jacob navia wrote: ... C isn't for PCs. ... Embedded systems are more cost-conscious than PCs, ... non-workstation environments, and even non-hosted environments. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: [EGN] Variable hoisting
    ... > What eddie fails to mention here is that the website in question belongs ... > what Randy does, has never had any exposure to Randy's embedded systems ... programmer" -- with years of experience on Windows, Linux and UNIX including ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Minix roadmap
    ... What is the future Minix roadmap? ... Given how bloated Windows is and Linux' goal of emulating ... In addition, embedded systems, especially large ones with file systems ... The posting to Slashdot this week generated almost 60,000 hits to the ...
    (comp.os.minix)
  • Re: Slightly off topic: Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs
    ... Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs ... The first change was the continued maturation of desktop Linux. ... Here's the business case. ... If you went with Microsoft Standard 2007, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)