When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?

This is a bit dumb, but let's discuss it anyway.

The 8051 and other 8-bit microcontrollers have had a long and
distinguished life so far. As more and more low power devices appear
using 32-bit instruction sets such as ARM, I wonder how long it will be
before 8-bits are no longer selected for new designs.

Some fun questions for a Friday:

1. For NEW DESIGNS ONLY, can you guess at how much life (years,
decades) is left in 8-bit devices?

2. Given microcontroller size/power evolution, do you think
ARM/AVR/other will end up in the smallest 8-pin(?) microcontrollers and
8-bit micros will just fade away? If so, in what time frame?

3. Do you think there is value (to embedded engineers) in settling on a
single ISA for microcontrollers, such as ARM?

I like ARM and I also like 8051, PIC and other 8-bits, but ARM is so
easy to work with (both in 'C' and assembly) that I wouldn't be sorry
if the 8-bits were retired.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul.

  • Re: ARM Development Kit Suggestions [ LPC2148 boards, buglabs... ]
    ... I have experience with 8052, 386, HC11, and 6800 derivatives, but nothing with the ARM. ... but easy interface with peripherials nice. ... WinARM has been tested with Philips LPC2106, Philips LPC2129, Philips ... The gnu-toolchain and the supplied tools should work with all microcontrollers based on ARMarchitecture. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?
    ... distinguished life so far. ... As more and more low power devices appear using 32-bit instruction sets such as ARM, I wonder how long it will be ... single ISA for microcontrollers, such as ARM? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: MCS-51 and ARM only major players?
    ... complexity) MCS-51 microcontrollers and the more complex ARM based ... MIPS competes with ARM, ARM has most of the cellphone market, MIPS has ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?
    ... 8-bit micros will survive as long as they are cheaper to produce than 16-bit ... For NEW DESIGNS ONLY, can you guess at how much life (years, ... > single ISA for microcontrollers, such as ARM? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?
    ... Paul Marciano wrote: ... For NEW DESIGNS ONLY, can you guess at how much life (years, ... > single ISA for microcontrollers, such as ARM? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)