Re: how to generate time delay

Jim Granville wrote:
> Why not use a small CPLD, for this task ? - there are examples of
> CPLDs for loading the RAM in FPGAs, from SPI memory.
>
> How are you building the psuedo-CPU ?

I'm doing the control unit first, most of which will be as a state
machine stored in an eeprom (which will first be loaded into ram). But
I don't want to use a microcontroller. I want the hardware circuitry
to load the serial eeprom to ram. If I can accomplish that much, then
I'm sure I can design and build circuitry to step through the ram
addresses that will contain the state machine that acts as the control
unit.

I say "pseudo-CPU" because at this point I want to build merely the
control unit that will generate a set of desired waveforms. Those
waveforms are fairly complex and I would not dream of doing them
without a micro-coded/micro-sequenced process using eprom. However,
the waveforms to generate signals to read a serial eeprom into RAM are
much simpler and I am very close to a hardware design that I *think*
will work. (I'm using very slow clock frequencies and making all my
divisions multiples of that freq. Someone mentioned quantizing the
signal, I think thats what I am doing.)

IF examples existed for loading eprom into RAM and IF PLDs can be
programmed as easily as eproms apparently are (i.e. by hand or by PC
parallel port; a dedicated programmer is out of my budget range), then
maybe a PLD would be a possibility. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
JD

  • Re: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe ( Deluxe problem)
    ... video, 400Watt PS, yada yada yada ... it's "Loading FAT file system" ... ... I found that by removing one of the 512MB ram sticks, ... The best position for your two memory sticks, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Windows slow on startup
    ... programs from loading at start up. ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003 ... WinXP-pro-SP3 machine, I have 1024 MB RAM, of which Windows sees 1014 MB. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: using RAM for process.
    ... RAM is not wise. ... you are scrolling through the preview set is much cleverer. ... Loading into memory simply means your data ... > Microsoft MVP, MCSD ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ole)
  • Fixing a Slow Computer
    ... RAM, ... 256 meg is standard on many economy systems and that just isn't ... You need to figure out what is loading that is not needed. ... programs that automatically load. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Cant log in, welcome screen icons/accounts missing
    ... (I'm more of an all around tech guy, I used to have my own tech ... welcome screen, the screen looks as if it is still loading, but i ... driver and my free ram xp pro came up with errors. ... I was able to login under safe mode (after pressing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)