Re: When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:03:21 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just thought of a LARGE volume embedded DSP market: Cell phones
>(there's also mp3 players such as the ipod, but that's minor compared
>to cellphones). Do any of them use some other microcontroller in
>addition to the DSP (perhaps for a very low power mode, though the
>DSP's I've seen can operate over quite a range of MIPS and currents)?

About 70% use ARM cores with one or two DSPs on the same chip.
Some high-end phones integrate two ARM cores and two DSPs.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691