Re: When will the 8051 and othe 8-bits go away?

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:03:21 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just thought of a LARGE volume embedded DSP market: Cell phones
>(there's also mp3 players such as the ipod, but that's minor compared
>to cellphones). Do any of them use some other microcontroller in
>addition to the DSP (perhaps for a very low power mode, though the
>DSP's I've seen can operate over quite a range of MIPS and currents)?

About 70% use ARM cores with one or two DSPs on the same chip.
Some high-end phones integrate two ARM cores and two DSPs.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

  • Re: Too Much Caffeine II -- Is Lisp the new Erlang?
    ... and Python available for cell phones, again probably also others, so the ... device too (or are the resource constraints too limiting?) ... Most handsets have a DSP processor and a general microprocessors. ... they could probably run a small Common Lisp implementation. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: mobile processors
    ... Blackfin with the Visual DSP toolset from ADI ... ARM with IAR or ARM Tools ... Cell phones from all the big guys have a variety of Operating Systems, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)