Re: VSD Control Platform



Gary Pace wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to design the hardware for a new variable speed drive
> controller. Since I'm largely targeting high power systems, I certainly
> don't need to squeeze the last buck out of the controller.
> I am looking for processing power (determinism is very important so I
> think I need to steer away from "lighting fast from cache, dog slow
> otherwise" processors)
> Easy design cycle is also very important

You didn't indicate the type of motor drive you were looking at but I will
assume 3 phase motor from a 6-switch bridge. When you say high power are we
speaking in kW or MW ranges?.

> I am a bit out of date on CPU's DSP's etc that are currently widely used,
> so if anyone has a better idea I'd be grateful to hear it.

There are some chips that deal with the complete full vector control of
bridge based drives for three phase motors. These can be interfaced to some
quite simple processors and provide adequate performance. If you prefer not
to be locked into these chips then there are a whole host of processors out
there that have the capability to perform well in such tasks.

If you are just in need of speed and/or torque control then a full vector
controller could even be created in FPGA incorporating a processor core,
some memory and the necessary interlocking logic (to prevent shorting the
psu through two devices down a chain) for the drives and is readily
achievable from freely available core IP.

Before I point you in any specific direction though, perhaps you would care
to reveal some more requirements for these drives that would enable us to
get a better taset of what you are specifically after in the outcome of the
design.

--
********************************************************************
Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/
********************************************************************
.



Relevant Pages

  • Re: Happy 30th Birthday to Disk ][ and Apple DOS
    ... controller was not only industry changing, ... to the design. ... Apple had to have special drives manufactured, ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Review my resume. Please.
    ... communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills. ... MOST and CAN (Controller ... network devices for automotive industry based on MOST (Media Oriented ... the Open Systems Interconnect reference model; design focused ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Looking for SAS/SATA RAID Controller That Supports JBOD
    ... Right, which is why one speaks of a JBOD cabinet, not a JBOD drive. ... All refer to such a controller as a *RAID* controller supporting JBOD ar- ... -or- an external controller spanning drives in a cabinet. ...
    (comp.periphs.scsi)
  • Re: 3B2 Disks
    ... being able to read the disk in its present format. ... 2 MFM drives on a custom controller. ... SCSI came much later as an add on card. ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: How to play an old floppy disk.
    ... Here are the circuit diagrams for the FDD/HDD controller in the ... Therefore it has the same data rate and should be ... Are you sure there ever were drives for 40 tracks double sided? ... Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)