Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

chrisaotto@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O
capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

I need something in a box / mechanical enclosure ready to use in an
industrial setting.  The application is simple, not very processor
intensive, process some inputs and transmit an IP / Ethernet packet;
receive a packet and drive some outputs. Unfortunately it is very
custom application.  I either need a powerful scripting interface or
the ability to write my own application.  I would prefer not design any
custom hardware or mechanicals as the quantity does not justify it.  If
I could find a platform to both develop and ship it in, that would be
great.

Does anyone know of a product that would fit this niche?   Any help is
appreciated.

--Chris

Hi, I was searching the same thing myself, as my budget is very low :(

I found the NSLU2 from linksys, which is an ideal platform.
It is an embedded linux system, with two USB2 ports, at 480mbs, and a 10/100 ethernet port, and a serial port (onboard 4 points connector). the processor is a IXP420 at 133MHz, which is basically an ARM Xscale compatible processor, with some extensions.. (can be overclocked to 266MHz , just by removing a resistor), and it runs LINUX. It as 32MB of sdram, and 8MB of flash in standard.
There are a lot of developpement around this little embedded system, search for "NSLU2 linux" on google ..
see this page --->
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

It is a network storage appliance basically, to share multiple USB2 hardrives via ethernet network.. it only cost around 80euros, (~ 90 USD)
at this price, it is unbeatable :)

The last linux kernel 2.6.11.2 and 2.6.12 are working on it, so every USB2 devices that kernel 2.6.12 supports, are working on it :)
Webcams, usb drive, DVB receiver, wifi cards, USB2 vga cards, and everything that linux kernel as driver for ...

If you nead more IO pins, you can juste add a homemade extension card, with a FT245 for example, or any USB to parallel IO usb chips...

like we say in French... "Que demande le peuple !!!"

bye...
CECCHINEL S.
inter.zone23@xxxxxxx

  • Re: webcams for linux
    ... Anything that has an Ethernet interface;-) ... Axis webcams *run* Linux internally... ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Schillersche These: Sicherheitsupdates sind notwendig
    ... Verbindugnsprotokolle wie z.B. Ethernet oder ATM ... darueber liegende Netzwerkschicht die Netzwerkadressen ... beschraenkt (bei Linux kann iptables das, ... Ansonsten kann dir dein Nachbar u.U. ein PAket schicken, ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: firefox
    ... All I did after the install was yum update and let it do everything it ... being that you are moving to linux, it may well be beneficial to move ... right click on 'ethernet 0 up' to hilite and select 'new item'. ... to make things a little more enjoyable with firefox, open firefox, look ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: HP Photosmart C5180 via Ethernet
    ... Just a question about a detail: The printer has a USB and a Ethernet ... My Linux box has a on-board Ethernet which I don't use since I ... I would connect it to the router, this way any computer on your network ... HP 5850 hooked up that way and configuring it in Linus was easier that ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Simple Win7 Question
    ... I used to think winXP would be ... the "Piss Take Too Far" that would kickstart the adoption of Linux by a ... The only issue I have is that I haven't gotten the USB2 driver to work ... Ubuntu goes to some lengths to make the ms windows user feel at home, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)