Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

Andreas Schwarz wrote:

> Printf was only an example, the same applies to strcmp, puts, and many
> more, not to mention your own functions that operate on constant arrays.
> And besides, I don't think there's anything wrong with using printf on 8
> bit controllers. It makes serial debugging, LCD usage and things like
> that much more comfortable, and the additional 2-3 kB scarcely matter.

LOL, that 2-3K makes a huge difference in products with 16K ROM or less and
there are very many of those.

Ian

  • OT - Re: Convert output from MD5 to printable ascii
    ... to avoid linking in all of printf() unnecessarily. ... I presume you would first confirm that the use of puts() doesn't ... object code size. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Hardcoded insert string for the event messages
    ... This isn't what you'll see, but FWIW, here's what gcc does with it: ... Note that gcc has replaced the call to printf with a call to puts. ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Convert output from MD5 to printable ascii
    ... I presume you would first confirm that the use of puts() doesn't ... I don't know what quality of implementations you are used to. ... All the compilers I use basically do link these seperately. ... reason is that printf is a gargantuan link-in in comparison to puts. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Back on the List - Two questions
    ... i.each{|j| printf "%30s ", j} ... If you combine this with a function that first figures out an ... hard coded columns would be fine, but email addresses, probably not so ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: AWK experts - how would I code around this in awk...
    ... using printf instead of puts can allow attackers to overwrite memory ... I use printf because I was taught to do so. ... Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI ...
    (Ubuntu)