Re: ethernet - DP83847 PROBLEM

"ashwin" <achiluka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1130517373.081707.282880@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello Everyone,
> I have few questions regarding the DP83847 PHY. I have this PHY on
> xilinx virtex fpga board.
> I need to write an ethernet mac in the fpga to send the packets to the
> PC through the PHY. Initially, to start with i am implementing the
> transmit module.
> 1) when i hardware reset the PHY, the link estabilishes between the PC
> and the fpga board, but whatever data i put on the MII interface on the
> TXD(3:0), i am not able to see anything when i check the pin
> TD+- in the oscilloscope. For some reason the PHY is not transmitting
> the data.
> a) Do i need to initialize the PHY before/after i hardware reset
> it. If yes how?

Possibly. Any initialization you would do would be accomplished by
setting/clearing bits in the MII registers. You access these registers
though the MDC and MDIO pins (the MIIM interface).

> b) By default , if i hardware reset, the PHY will act in 100 mbps
> full duplex mode. So i guess , just to test this PHY, i dont have to
> use MDC and MDIO right?

That depends. What do you have the PHYADDR0, ..., PHYADDR4 pins connected
to? They better not be all connected such that the address 0x0 is strapped
into the PHYADDR bits of the PHYCTRL register. Quickly scanning through the
data sheet, I do not see any explicit need to write to any registers if your
pins are connected properly, although I might have missed something.

> c)Do i need to exactly send the ethernet packet format to the PHY
> inorder to test it correctly with the oscilloscope or will i be able
> to see any data if i check it in the oscilloscope?

The PHY has no idea what a proper Ethernet packet looks like, nor does it
care.

> d) will i see a sinusoid on the TD+ pin when i check it in the
> oscilloscope or is it a square wave.

Are you talking about the TD pins themselves, or the TX+/TX- pins on the
cable side of the transmit transformer? I'd recommend measuring the cable
side of the transmit transformer. This way, anything you do see will be
directly comparable to other people's measurements, and you will get
consistent results. I believe the transformers are driven by current, not
voltage, so measuring the TD pins themselves might varry, depending on what
kind of transformer you have, what load is attached to the transformer, etc.

At 100Mbps, I don't think you'll see either a sinusoid or a square wave (on
the cable side of the transformer). I think you'll see trapezoids. If I
recall correctly, I think you'll see a slew rate limited rise/fall, followed
by a steady voltage for a while, and then another slew rate limited
fall/rise.

At 10Mbps, you would see sinusoid-like signals, depending on the bit pattern
being transmitted.

Even if your FPGA isn't attached to the PHY (TX_CLK is running, but TX_EN is
always deasserted), I think you should see these trapezoids comming out of
the 100Mbps PHY. This constant idle transmission is used to detect a link
partner, and when connected, maintain RX clock synchronization. Attach your
oscilloscope to your PC's Ethernet card (by tapping into a cable or the pins
on the RJ45 connector) to get an idea what these look like. If your pins
are silent, you probably have some hardware configuration or PHY
initialization problem. This would not imply an FPGA code problem.

  • Re: Ethernet module with just 2 layers
    ... This datasheet gives only the pinouts of the module, ... I've figured out how to connect the MII pins since they are pretty ... straightforward (just connect to the corresponding pins to the PHY). ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: ethernet phy- DP83847
    ... You do not need to send an ethernet packet to the PHY - it doesn't ... and you will see similar patterns when you transmit data. ... Don't try to 'see' the TxD bits coming out on the TD pins - sending ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: FPGA Development Board Wish List
    ... built in XFMR's) and one Ethernet connected to a PPC and one to the FPGA. ... reversed PHY connections also make it better for an FPGA as the FPGA ... >>> way into military kit when it's origional function was purely ... >>> is conceivable that FPGA development boards could be used for something ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: FPGA + Ethernet
    ... layer 2 (MAC). ... PHY daughter card to add to the board to be able to do 10/100 with a real ... Interfacing that to the FPGA shouldn't be ... you may be better off with one of the MCUs with built in ethernet such ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Low-end FPGA mezzanine standard
    ... There's also Arduino, which is ... but with a $10 FPGA in mind rather than an 8 bit micro or a $1000 FPGA. ... an 100M Ethernet PHY which is just the phy rather than a ... Having a microcontroller on the board is OK (USB offload is ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)