Re: KEil bought by ARM

In article <XKqXRMCKP$YDFAVN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx
says...
> With commercial compilers you can usually get the original vendor to
> provide the right version overnight. I have myself provided specific
> old versions of compilers (amended to work with the current dongle) for
> customers in 48 hours and at no cost as they were on support.

I tried to do this recently. I was buying a compiler from
Altium/Tasking to modify/update code on a project a client has licensed.
I wanted to at least start with being able to produce a binary image that
matched the current version so I asked for a quote to include a previous
version ( I thought at least covering media costs was reasonable).

The response I got back was that they couldn't provide any versions
earlier than x (x being a minor differnce from their shipping version).
So this assertion strikes me as overly optimistic.

Don't get me started on dongles and Flex

Robert

  • Re: LPC900/80C51 Compiler Toolchain
    ... Many others node lock without a dongle BTW a dongle is an item of HW. ... It may not always be a lock for a license the term is used for other bits of add on HW ... I bet 90% of programmers have at least 1 item of dubious SW on their compilers... ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: GNUPro Development, v850
    ... Much the same for any compiler including GCC. ... Most if not all commercial embedded compilers are command line. ... IAR compilers do not need a dongle. ... that I can maintain all my old designs indefinitely as I upgrade ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: KEil bought by ARM
    ... >> With commercial compilers you can usually get the original vendor to ... >> provide the right version overnight. ... > version (I thought at least covering media costs was reasonable). ... Too late to be of use to me anymore but anyone getting the same response ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: 8051 C Compiler
    ... Keil and IAR compilers are good, there's no doubt and their IDE's, debuggers ... IAR you have a choice of dongle, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: GNUPro Development, v850
    ... Much the same for any compiler including GCC. ... Most if not all commercial embedded compilers are command line. ... IAR compilers do not need a dongle. ... You only have to look at the number of times FSF and other FOSS groups have to go to court over misuse of FOSS SW to see that a lot of software, even free software, gets stolen and pirated. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)