Re: Battery Backed external power supply

<steve.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> We have a small unit which has a external power supply of 7V. This unit
> draws around 100mA. We have been asked to supply some sort of battery
> backup for it. There is no ups to hand so what we are looking for is a
> DC small DC supply 7 to 15V which can power the unit from the mains and
> keep powering the unit for around 2 hours on power fail.

This can be setup really simple: feed your circuit from tha 15V (must be
higher than battery voltage) supply through a diode. Also connect a 12
lead-gel battery to the circuit through another diode. When the power fails,
the battery takes over. You can trickle-charge the battery from the power
supply as well though a suitable resistor.

Meindert

  • Re: Newbie trying to fix a Johnson FT-2 Tremolo Pedal (for guitar)
    ... determine a short or near short circuit. ... then C9 shouldn't be the problem if I'm using a battery. ... regarding my non working 9v AC power ... equipment, dead wall warts, or both. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Rechargeable 3v battery details for microcontroller (Cant lose data!)
    ... > wake and check if power has returned and resume normal operation. ... > to reliability concerns I think powering the PIC from battery during ... > diode with a lower Vf it would help raise the charging voltage. ... Similarly, would leakage ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: DMP XR-20 - NO DC
    ... Aux power both. ... got circuit breakers. ... Capacitor or Zener diode (if they ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • What I learned from Hurricane Charley
    ... Since we never lost power, I'm not sure about the level of our food and ... Since emergency shelter in the county in which I work (and to which I must ... In the late spring we had pulled out our battery operated drill and used it ... we could safely handle the panels without injury to our hands. ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: UPS waveform question for SUN servers
    ... O.K. The pure sine wave is better for systems with input ... The SB-1K and SB-2K use the same power supply. ... this UPS has caused more trouble than ... it has alleviated - with the battery sometimes discharging for no ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)