Re: Battery Backed external power supply

<steve.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> We have a small unit which has a external power supply of 7V. This unit
> draws around 100mA. We have been asked to supply some sort of battery
> backup for it. There is no ups to hand so what we are looking for is a
> DC small DC supply 7 to 15V which can power the unit from the mains and
> keep powering the unit for around 2 hours on power fail.

This can be setup really simple: feed your circuit from tha 15V (must be
higher than battery voltage) supply through a diode. Also connect a 12
lead-gel battery to the circuit through another diode. When the power fails,
the battery takes over. You can trickle-charge the battery from the power
supply as well though a suitable resistor.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Newbie trying to fix a Johnson FT-2 Tremolo Pedal (for guitar)
    ... determine a short or near short circuit. ... then C9 shouldn't be the problem if I'm using a battery. ... regarding my non working 9v AC power ... equipment, dead wall warts, or both. ...
  • Re: Rechargeable 3v battery details for microcontroller (Cant lose data!)
    ... > wake and check if power has returned and resume normal operation. ... > to reliability concerns I think powering the PIC from battery during ... > diode with a lower Vf it would help raise the charging voltage. ... Similarly, would leakage ...
  • Re: DMP XR-20 - NO DC
    ... Aux power both. ... got circuit breakers. ... Capacitor or Zener diode (if they ...
  • What I learned from Hurricane Charley
    ... Since we never lost power, I'm not sure about the level of our food and ... Since emergency shelter in the county in which I work (and to which I must ... In the late spring we had pulled out our battery operated drill and used it ... we could safely handle the panels without injury to our hands. ...
  • Re: UPS waveform question for SUN servers
    ... O.K. The pure sine wave is better for systems with input ... The SB-1K and SB-2K use the same power supply. ... this UPS has caused more trouble than ... it has alleviated - with the battery sometimes discharging for no ...